Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing this on my phone my computer just crashed so forgive the puctuation and other errors that may occur.

My question's are what is the proper method to add cross braces to say a coffee table. In between the boards running between the legs. Normally I would just do screws from outside into the cross braces but I am trying to step up to finer wood working.

The other question is if I want to make a table top out of smaller boards making a pattern what is the proper way for that. Haven't attempted this yet but want to my plan was to use 1/2" plywood and glue and or nail the smaller peices to it to make the pattern. Is there better ways. Whats the best proper way and what is best for a guy with few tools. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
26,984 Posts
I am doing this on my phone my computer just crashed so forgive the puctuation and other errors that may occur.

My question's are what is the proper method to add cross braces to say a coffee table. In between the boards running between the legs. Normally I would just do screws from outside into the cross braces but I am trying to step up to finer wood working.

The other question is if I want to make a table top out of smaller boards making a pattern what is the proper way for that. Haven't attempted this yet but want to my plan was to use 1/2" plywood and glue and or nail the smaller peices to it to make the pattern. Is there better ways. Whats the best proper way and what is best for a guy with few tools. Thanks in advance
Well the cross braces are called a skirt. Normally on furniture the skirts are fastened to the legs with a mortise and tenon joint or doweled. I'm not really understanding what you have in mind with the top. I would probably make it out of 3/4" plywood and band it around the four edges with solid wood of the same type.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im talking about brace between the skirts between the two longer sides

Something like this is one of my top ideas. I can do it just wondering whats proper method.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts