·
where's my table saw?
32,241 Posts
this is pretty useful

·
where's my table saw?
32,241 Posts
Jointer technique

Edge jointing a board, to get it straight and 90 degrees to the face can also be done on the table saw, easier and faster. :yes:
I use a board straighten jig like this: http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/board-straightening-jig-table-saw-16999/

However, that was not your question. :no:

First thing I do is sight down the board to determine which way it's curved and put the concave side down.
I run it in part way, from both ends with a fairly deep 1/8" cut, sighting down it after each partial run. This allows me to remove the extra material from the board without making repeated passes and wasting the wood.
Your jointer should have beds longer than 46", the length of your board, for best results. This is why I use the 8 ft long jig on the table saw. It will straight an 8 ft long board in one pass. I have a shorter jig, around 5 ft long that's easier to manage for those length boards.
Eventually after jointing in from each end, it will look straight enough to run a full length pass. Always keep the same face against the fence and flip the board end for end using this procedure. :yes:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.