Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Senior Sawdust Sweeper
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the idea of cutting a stacked ring bowl using the scrollsaw to do the rings, angled cuts and all. I played around with a piece I cut with a 45 degree cut all round and figured out the Dewalt wanted the bed tilted to the right to clear the thumbscrews. I shouldn't need to tell how I found that out.:pinch:
I left that laying on the shop bench for a week then decided today to try making a bowl from it. I found another piece of poplar and traced the big end of the original chunk, determined to use that for the bottom. I found the center point with a compass and traced a smaller circle for the inside wall. This time I set the angle to 25 degrees, cutting the outside and inside. The next piece was the same routine but set to a 10 degree angle.
After that I glued the stack and clamped it for an hour. I rounded the joints with the stationary belt sander on the outside and with a small drill disc sander, 80 grit, on the inside. After a once over with 220 I wiped it with a couple of coats of antique oil finish.

Attachments

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Well done.

Ever since I saw Tommy Mac's episode where he made the stacked ring bowl I've wanted to try it. But alas, it's been filed away in with the other dozens of projects I want to get around to someday.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts