Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The word is Jatoba.

Is it "Ja-toba" or "Ya-toba"? Or "Zhuh-toba"?

Some websites I've seen even have the accent over the last "a", which changes things a lot.

So how do ya say it? I'm using some of the stuff on a piece I'm making and I don't want to look like an arse when someone asks me what kind of wood it is.

·
Registered
714 Posts
The word is Jatoba.

Is it "Ja-toba" or "Ya-toba"? Or "Zhuh-toba"?

Some websites I've seen even have the accent over the last "a", which changes things a lot.

So how do ya say it? I'm using some of the stuff on a piece I'm making and I don't want to look like an arse when someone asks me what kind of wood it is.

I don't know if it's right/wrong, but I've always done it
"Ja-toba"

Like Jag Jaguar ... Jat oba ... "Ja-toba"

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I'm using some of the stuff on a piece I'm making and I don't want to look like an arse when someone asks me what kind of wood it is.
Just tell them it is Brazilian cherry...alot easier to pronounce and that is what it is commonly called. They may think "Cherry, that is not very exotic"...but it is not at all like northern American cherry it is more like the locust (beautiful wood, better that cherry in many ways)

American locust (with some white oak) patio set, 30 years from now...it will still be there even setting outside, guaranteed .

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
OK, I'll pronounce it "expensive". :laughing::blink:

I've been saying Ja-toba, that'll work...

Ya-Toba for any Yups that still exist and want to burn some bux.

Zhuh-Toba for serious referral biz!! :laughing:

(just to be clear, 'tho, I'm not marketing anything I'm creating these days... just so ya know... not in bizzness, just having a laugh)

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
OK, I'll pronounce it "expensive". :laughing::blink:
That is your best bet...they probably can't pronounce it correctly either(unless they are from Brazil), but if they can afford it and you do a good job I am sure they know how to pass a business card to someone else who can too $$$. :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts