Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Trytore Member
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent a good half hour today just scrolling through an awesome book on joinery from the Gutenberg collection. I checked to see if they have others on woodworking and they have quite a few. I think it's come up here before but I thought it was worth raising again. Take a look when you have a chance.

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Woodwork

·
Registered
825 Posts
There are several that I have down loaded and read. Many are available in public domain for free download in iBooks. I don't know how Project Gutenberg is funded, but I am happy that they have made a lot of stuff available for mass consumption.

·
7,222 Posts
Thanks for the link. I had been to the Project Guttenberg site some time ago, but easy to forget it exists. Nice to have some of these old books electronically available.

I would not follow all the advise though. The Noyes book has this text for how to test for sharpness of a blade or chisel.

"To test the sharpness of a whetted edge, draw the tip of the finger or thumb lightly along it, Fig. 79. If the edge be dull, it will feel smooth: if it be sharp, and if care be taken, it will score the skin a little, not enough to cut thru, but just enough to be felt."

I can just picture folks cutting themselves with this method. :eek:

·
Registered
825 Posts
Thanks for the link. I had been to the Project Guttenberg site some time ago, but easy to forget it exists. Nice to have some of these old books electronically available.

I would not follow all the advise though. The Noyes book has this text for how to test for sharpness of a blade or chisel.

"To test the sharpness of a whetted edge, draw the tip of the finger or thumb lightly along it, Fig. 79. If the edge be dull, it will feel smooth: if it be sharp, and if care be taken, it will score the skin a little, not enough to cut thru, but just enough to be felt."

I can just picture folks cutting themselves with this method. :eek:
Obviously not a glut of lawyers when that was written.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts