Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the gallery done and mounted. Used a drill guide at 10° angle but it was still a bit hairy.

Excited about shellac that just arrived today from Wood Finish Supply (shellac.net). I’ve been experimenting with some different shades of shellac and also lye.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Nice! That's cherry, right?

I like the figure on the top and the bead detail. I assume the front apron is resawn and bent laminated, so when you open the drawer you see the "solid" cherry?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Got the gallery done and mounted. Used a drill guide at 10° angle but it was still a bit hairy.

Excited about shellac that just arrived today from Wood Finish Supply (shellac.net). I’ve been experimenting with some different shades of shellac and also lye.

View attachment 425058 View attachment 425059
What shellac did you settle on? I did a similar cherry table. I put the table in the sun for about 4 days in accelerate the natural darkening, used blonde shellac, then top coated with Target Coatings EM 6000 lacquer. Ended up with a nice natural coloring.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cherry and yes, bent lamination.

This particular cherry is rather light that was a trade off I made when I saw the figure. Although I know it will darken, I want to speed up the process. I‘ve never used lye but it worked really nice on a sample piece. But I’m too chicken to use on the whole piece.

Garnet shellac as well as garnet tinted with various dyes yielded what best results.

I‘ve never been a fan of putting a table top out in the sunlight - not with my memory, anyway o_O

1 - 4 of 4 Posts