Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of redoing my central Florida backyard and I've got there separate wood structures that need staining/sealing.

First, is a basic PT fence. It is about 3 years old. I spent the weekend cleaning the fence with a combination of bleach, TSP and water and will hopefully be ready to stain as soon as it dries completely.

Second, I just finished building a deck out of PT as well. It is only a week or so old.

Lastly, I'm building a pergola out of western red cedar. I'd like to maintain the beauty of the wood and try to prevent it from turning gray.

I've been trying to decide which brand would be best for my situation. I was hoping to find a local store that carries at least one or two of them, but it seems like most companies are mail order only. So far, I'm looking at:

Armstrong Clark
Timber Oil
TWP
Defy
Ready Seal

I'd like all the surfaces to match as much as possible. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
26,980 Posts
I'm in the process of redoing my central Florida backyard and I've got there separate wood structures that need staining/sealing.

First, is a basic PT fence. It is about 3 years old. I spent the weekend cleaning the fence with a combination of bleach, TSP and water and will hopefully be ready to stain as soon as it dries completely.

Second, I just finished building a deck out of PT as well. It is only a week or so old.

Lastly, I'm building a pergola out of western red cedar. I'd like to maintain the beauty of the wood and try to prevent it from turning gray.

I've been trying to decide which brand would be best for my situation. I was hoping to find a local store that carries at least one or two of them, but it seems like most companies are mail order only. So far, I'm looking at:

Armstrong Clark
Timber Oil
TWP
Defy
Ready Seal

I'd like all the surfaces to match as much as possible. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
If it were me I would let the fence dry a couple of weeks before staining. If you are able to get it in your state, I would use the TWP 100 series finish. The deck I believe I would wait until September to finish that if the wood is anywhere near fresh. The Pergola you could finish with the same 100 series.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts