Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to turning and I am having a problem getting the bottom of a bowl straight. It just won't quit rocking. :sad2: I am using Easy Wood Tools and they are sharp. Is there a tip or trick that would help me do better?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Not sure I can help being fairly new to the lathe myself. I have a question or two. What chuck are you using? When you say you can’t get things straight and it keeps rocking where are you in the process of creating a bowl? Also a pic or two might be helpful.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure I can help being fairly new to the lathe myself. I have a question or two. What chuck are you using? When you say you can’t get things straight and it keeps rocking where are you in the process of creating a bowl? Also a pic or two might be helpful.
I am talking about my ability to get it flat with lathe tools.

·
Registered
49 Posts
blondewood

I'm no pro at that, kinda learning it too. You Tube vids help a lot. Get a square scraper, that helps a lot. Watch a youtube on square scrapers.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
When working on an edge with an Easy Wood tool it tends to take the path of least resistance and wander away from where you're trying to cut (scrape), making a convex surface. I find that watching the opposite side, the side away from where you're cutting, keeps the cut on track. When I took a turning class, the instructor said "watch the horizon". Of course, you do also have to keep and eye on where you're cutting as well. Practice, practice, practice...

As Steve said, if you over compensate a bit, you'll end up with a concave surface which will eliminate wobbling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts