Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a custom door builder that has been given an opportunity to build cabinetry as well however I am not familiar with determining price by foot, is there someone that can instruct me with a formula or a basis on which to go by. All help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
164 Posts
well around here the pricing is from $85.00-100.00 a linear ft. depending on accents(round corners,recessed doors,scrolled kicks)or type of material. $85.00 would be for normal style cabs w/ash or paint grade maple. i add for things like refridge cab. vent hoods and wood upgrades.measured as it fits the wall space,ie,if you had a 7' vanity and a 2' upper cab above the toilet that bathroom would have 9' total x $85.00. kitchens are generally done the same way. this would include raised panel doors square or arched

·
Registered
31 Posts
Pricing cabinets by the foot never made much sense to me. After all, building a 15" base cabinet isn't half as much work for me as building a 30" cabinet, so why should I get paid half as much for it?

I always figure my materials and labor independently. Materials are pretty straightforward: how many sheets of plywood? how many l.f.of face frame stock? etc... For the labor, I start with how much I need to make per day to be profitable, then figure out how many days it will take to do the work.

The only hard part of doing it this way is figuring out how much you need to make per day. There's a ton that goes into that, but that's been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere (it's all over ContractorTalk). Once you have a number you like, it's easy. Plus you don't need to come up with a new plan for every different type of work you do...

·
johnep
2,006 Posts
pricing

Simply have a look in the stores what similar joinery costs and price above or below according to the market segment you wish to occupy.

Mere copies of standard kitchen joinery will only be bought at a higher price by customers anxious to be different.
johnep

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Actually it's more like how much can you get. If the going rate on materials is "X" and you can buy it for "X-5", why should you charge less. Remember, time out of your life goes into the work. Here in Florida, it's a hit or miss on pricing. I don't even think of competing with the big box stores. Their cabinet is not the same. Your selling point should be more of the custom end. I figure price per foot. If you figure any other way you could be losing money. It's easier to keep track of what's in the job as for what cabinets make up the job, what gets added, and what gets subtracted or changed. I have different factors that I use for laminate, and hardwoods, for slab doors and for raised panel, and type of drawer. Like "ala-cart" pricing. You should figure your jobs (if you install), demolition, disposal of the old cabinetry, delivery costs of new work, and installation.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Pricing cabinets by the foot never made much sense to me. After all, building a 15" base cabinet isn't half as much work for me as building a 30" cabinet, so why should I get paid half as much for it?

you shouldn't and won't if you use this formula. i think you are using sq. footage as oppossed to linear. take your example and for me i get the same for either cab. let's say the base cabs are 5' long i would price it at 5'x$85.00= $425.00 whether it's a 15" or 30". here the pricing is set by the larger custom shops with their huge overhead so if a smaller shop uses their pricing you will do well and it keeps the customer from comparing so if they like you they will use you. like cabinetman said,you could do it cheaper but why?
it also makes it easier on the builder/contractor to be able to estimate cabinet price.
of course your work has to be comparible if not better than the larger shops.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts