Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Furniture Craftsman
27 Posts
Board Feet

Hardwood lumber is sold by the board foot. There are two ways the hardwood can be measured, Gross Measure or Net Tally. Gross Measure is where the wood is measured Green (Before Kiln Drying). We never deal with suppliers who insist on using this method. Net Tally is the actual amount of lumber you’re buying. If you order 1000 bd ft, then you should receive 1000 bd ft. With a Gross Measure if you order 1000 bd ft you should receive around 930 bd ft. This would be 1000 bd ft minus the industry standard of 7% shrinkage. Knots, defects, ECT, are not taken into consideration when figuring board feet. They are figured in the grading process. If you are ordering FAS, then there are standards the lumber must meet in order to be called FAS. If your supplier is telling you 12% shrinkage I think I’d be looking for another supplier. As an example for our area we recently purchased 1000 bd ft of FAS 8/4 poplar and paid 1.35 a board foot at net tally, and 1000 bd ft of 4/4 poplar and paid 1.19 a board foot at net tally. I hope this helps.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.