Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
There are places that still use a shrinkage factor but I wouldn't buy like that. Most places sell on net tally (actual measurement) so it won't be hard to find a different supplier. That said, there's still a lot of wiggle room in measuring and you just need to know how your supplier does business and decide if it's acceptable for you. Some round up, some round down, some are exact.

As far as thickness and price goes I think people often assume it's unreasonable but here are some things to consider. 8/4 and 12/4 lumber require much longer drying times than 4/4 (it's not just double or triple the time) which adds cost and ties up capital.

An additional factor is the grade of logs you need to get decent size 8/4 and 12/4 lumber in good grades. Those logs cost more money. The odds of maintaining grade by sawing 8/4 or 12/4 vs 4/4 are also stacked against you since most saw logs contain a mixture of grades. For instance, if I saw 4/4 material and get a S&B board and the next 4/4 is 1 common I get a premium price for S&B and a lower price for the 1 common. But if I cut an 8/4 piece from that same space then one face will be S&B and one face will be 1 common. Unfortunately that makes the whole 8/4 board a 1 common board (since grade is determined by the worst face) and now I lose money compared to sawing two 4/4 boards. Add to that the additional cost of drying and now I'm really losing money and waiting longer to sell the boards for that loss.

If I charge the same for 8/4 and 12/4 as 4/4 then why incur the expense and risk? The answer is...I have to charge more. Now I'm not sure double is the right place but as with all transactions the right price is the one the buyer and seller agree on.

Hope that's helpful.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.