Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found some old chestnut on cl not sure how old the wood is. They are rafters 3x5x14, i do a fair amount of buying and reselling wood so i get my wood for pretty much free. I know chestnut is hard to find. Just wondering what its worth. Not sure what would be made out of that size wood.

·
Registered
834 Posts
If I remember right in the add it was $75 a board that works out to 4.28 a foot. I'm only going on memory after seeing the ads so I could be wrong with the price. For old growth chestnut that isn't to bad beings as it really doesn't grow to well any more since the blight hit it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was Looking around and i see some of it going for $6-8 a bf thats crazy. I wounder if anyone buys it at that price.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Cherry and walnut can be that high for S2S here, I don't see why you couldn't get that price for a wood that is functionally extinct.

·
Registered
140 Posts
In upstate NY if the boards are clean and straight and can be used for things like hard wood flooring then the asking price is $13 a bf. I know this cause I got a whole trailer of it a couple months ago from my boss. I looked around to see if I could sell it but most companies just said "we can take it off your hands". I was not looking for $13 a bf nor did I ever give a price. They never offered one either. I just ended up storing 1/4 of the load for the future and made a whole bunch of stuff for family and friends out of the rest. The best was a fishing pole holder that I made for an army buddy. He kept saying "hey I want to pay you what this is worth so dont discount me". Lol so I sent him an invoice that priced it around $640 he almost died. On the back of the invoice I asked for a case of beer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
most of my old posts are the pics of the wood before I worked on it and after certain prjects where completed. Is there a way to see what i have posted? If not i can try and dig them all up agian. I dont have pics of the fishing pole holder yet as it is still curing at my friends house.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts