Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yep, Oyster mushrooms and other Gourmet strains, fortunately, most need a pretty good amount of fresh air, though also humidity so they'll be some slits for fresh air exchange...

after some more searching both online and at local hardware shops I think I've decided to go ahead with the wood strips and hope for the best. I know everyone here is going to hate that idea lol. I am going to paint them down with a mix of natural intifungal ingredients ( tea tree oil, vinegar ) and maybe this will give them a head start on the mold.

Sure John, I'll share the results when it comes together - should be sometime within a week if things go smoothly.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
One of the most naturally rot/mold-resistant woods in all of North America is Western Red Cedar.
If you're in the States, look for Redwood/Sequoia, nearly as good.
A much larger volume of air is easier to control conditions as a % of the total size.

I was growing my own research plants, the "box" was about 2' x 2' x 4'.
It lasted all the years that I needed it, just dripping with humidity.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
thanks Brian!
I took a quick look and it seems like there are some Western Red Cedar fence posts that I think would fall in the price requirements.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Pick out the clearest, straightest post with as few knots as possible. Lengthwise, WRC splits like a dream into lengths you need. I can split 1/8" for my wood carvings if I need to. Dull blades split better than sharp blades. You are not cutting wood at all.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Isn't a mushroom a fungus? Can a fungus get infected with another fungus?

I think I've heard of sterilized peat for growing mushrooms>

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have built similar projects using PVC pipe and fittings. It worked really well.

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Isn't a mushroom a fungus? Can a fungus get infected with another fungus?

I think I've heard of sterilized peat for growing mushrooms>
Yes. If we keep the mushrooms in our refrigerator too long, mold will grow on them. The mold is not the same species as the original mushroom. Both the mushrooms and the mold are fungi.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts