Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another Question: I have a ~1.5” Maple board that will be 43 inches long and 16 inches wide. Planning to use it as a bathroom sink table top (which I’m gonna be putting a small bowl sink on it). The guy bought it from warned that it’s very common for boards like that to split after a little while. Any suggestions on preventing that?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Thick, wide boards will split if they are dried too fast. If they're not dried through and through before they're brought indoors, too much moisture escapes through the ends and they crack. So, my step 1 would be to coat the ends immediately with wax or shellac to slow any drying. My step 2 would be to use a moisture meter to see what it's moisture content really is. You'll need a moisture meter that can get all the way to the center. If it's fully dry, I'd say let it sit in the house for a week or so, then cut it to size. If it's not fully dry and you use it, future cracking is possible, depending on how much moisture is still in it.

No matter what you do, when you do build your project, be sure to finish all six sides.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts