Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed building a table using 4x4 pressure treated posts as legs (picture attached). The overall dimensions of the table are 60"L x 33"W x 30"H. What I'm wondering is if I should brace the lower end of the legs using crossbeams to prevent warping. It's going to be on a deck in full sun. I was hoping not to because the small black thing in the center of the table is an umbrella grommet so I would have to double up the boards, one on each side of where the umbrella pole would reach the ground. I'm trying to keep the weight down on this thing. I was hoping that by using 4x4's they'd be thick enough that warping would not be a factor. My dad thinks otherwise.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
in my experience with 20-30" 4x4 legs, it would be unusual if they did not twist / bend / warp a bit. but the absolute movement/displacement is fairly small - personally I would not "brace" them unless the joinery is wobbly at the top...
or, as a bottom point for the umbrella.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.