Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've completed my drawers under my maple and mahogany workbench. It really came out nice. I used 3/4" MDF as the carcas and skinned it with maple ply and maple trim.

I know that the finishing process brings it all together.....and this is where I struggle.

I've been reading up and watching you-tube for tips and techniques. After sanding to 220 grit, I used a coat of oil based polyurethane as a "sealer" so the gel stain wouldn't be blotchy.

I then applied a gel stain from a yellow can. The results were terrible. There seamed to be no penetration of the stain. Again, I struggle with finishing.

I think my problem is that my poly coat was too thick and it sealed the wood too much. Thus not letting the gel stain penetrate.

My question is........can I sand off whatever I can of the existiing gel reminance and poly and try a new gel stain from a blue can? I'm assuming I can get just enough of the poly off that the pores will accept a new, better quality gel stain.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Cheers.

·
Registered
26,389 Posts
I think the polyurethane sealed the wood too much and won't allow the gel stain to penetrate. Generally it's not good to try to sand a finish off. I would recommend using a methylene chloride paint and varnish remover and strip it off. I like Kleen Strip paint and varnish remover. Since the finish is fresh it shouldn't be too difficult to strip. Probably let it soak for 10 to 15 minutes and you can scrape the poly off with a broad knife. The residue is important to get off so I would use lacquer thinner and a some rags and wash the residue off. Paint strippers have waxes in them so it should be thoroughly cleaned.

When you get it cleaned up use a wood conditioner on it. I would recommend you then use an oil stain to color the wood before using the gel stain. Sometimes a gel stain will flake off when it gets old and leaves a white spot behind. If you stain the wood first it will leave a stained spot instead.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts

I then applied a gel stain from a yellow can. The results were terrible. There seamed to be no penetration of the stain. Again, I struggle with finishing.

I think my problem is that my poly coat was too thick and it sealed the wood too much. Thus not letting the gel stain penetrate.

My question is........can I sand off whatever I can of the existiing gel reminance and poly and try a new gel stain from a blue can? I'm assuming I can get just enough of the poly off that the pores will accept a new, better quality gel stain.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Cheers.
You could sand, but it's not really necessary. Gel stains don't really penetrate. Just apply liberally, and wipe off to the desired finish.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts