Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired some walnut beams at an auction and I would like to prep and sell a portion of the haul to cover costs and given the size of these things, bowl blanks seems obvious. What are some of the issues I need to consider when partitioning these things and beautifying them to get upper-reasonable value for them?

Dimensions are (left to right):
97" x 9-3/4" x 3-1/4" (pith)
132" x 11-1/2" x 3-3/4"
173" x 9-3/4" x 3-3/4" (bow & pith)
149" x 13-1/2" x 3-7/8" (pith? checking indicates, but end-grain is not cut clean)

nominally 158 b.ft. before salvage begins.

Regards,
Steve

·
7,222 Posts
What are some of the issues I need to consider when partitioning these things and beautifying them to get upper-reasonable value for them?
The nominal 3 - 4in thick stock may make good square spindle blanks, but not very this for bowl. I think these would be more like platter blanks. Not sure how many folks want platter blanks.

Most turners would want the blank to have no pith, be free from cracks. Surface does not have to be pretty, since it will be turned away.

Folks will prefer no twist or warp.

Any decent grain or figure in these boards.

I see some big cracks. Have to work around these.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Further to Dave's points ...

I've seen a lot of 3" to 4" thick 6"x6" (and 5"x5") blanks for sale on eBay, designated as "bowl blanks" -- but like Dave, I think that's too thin to make a decent bowl. Some people must like it I suppose.

(I have done it with wood I got free, but wouldn't bother to buy bowl blanks that thickness.)

I think peppermill blanks are a good choice for this wood. 3"x3" by anywhere from 12" to 18" long is perfect -- and it would give you a way to use those end pieces with deep cracks.

Smaller left-overs after you've cut peppermill blanks could be cut down into bottle-stopper blanks and/or pen blanks.

Also, search the forum for posts by "bangle guy" -- I don't remember what size blanks he uses for the bangles that he (and those who buy his kits) make.

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
My wife thinks I've saved my first cut off.

So, I can see uses sometimes there might not be any.

I agree that as bowl blanks they look kind of small.

You may have to resaw a bit ..

But furniture (there are 2-3 chairs there), or at least one hall table, or maybe 2 end tables, or a nice sofa table, or a nice chests,

With left overs, pepper mills (already mentioned), lots of pens, bangles will need pieces at least 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 1 1/2, spindles, Christmas Ornaments (you could get some nice globes and finials), segmented bowls, glue up router bowls, boxes, picture frames, shadow boxes, ...

If you have to get rid of them, send them to me and I'll make them disappear into something...:yes::yes:

Alan

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I was going by eBay, Etsy, and the bowls in my own cabinet for depth. Not having turned a bowl yet, I wasn't certain how much of the thickness went toward waste. I'll research into the pepper mill/bangle/other blanks as it definitely sounds like a better fit for what I have. There are a few spots that look like they may have some good figure, but I'd need to hit it with a sander to see for certain.

Regarding the pith: How much needs to be removed to be considered 'gone'? Just the center growth, or the next few rings as well? I've seen some log cutting diagrams for bowl turning and it looks like they take a good slice rather than just buzz out just the pith.

Regards,
Steve

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Regarding the pith: How much needs to be removed to be considered 'gone'? Just the center growth, or the next few rings as well? I've seen some log cutting diagrams for bowl turning and it looks like they take a good slice rather than just buzz out just the pith.
I usually base it on the diameter of the log being sliced up, but there's probably more stuff I should consider (such as the species, whether it was felled in winter or summer, etc.)

For a log about 12" to 16" diameter, I normally slice away 1.5" to 2" from the middle, which I then set on stickers and allow to dry ... it might become pen blanks or a wizard's wand or such (if it doesn't warp badly).

Cylinder Snack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts