Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a wood storm door that I'm refinishing. I managed to disassemble all the mortise and tenon joints, and I'm sanding the faces of each piece. The door consists of a small raised panel at the bottom of the door, and a large glass insert with mullions (grilles). The frame consists of two long members connected to a top and bottom piece with mortise and tenon joints. There is a small raised panel that takes up the space between the bottom of the window(s) and the bottom of the door. The tenons are old and the mortises don't look like they are very clean, especially since I've pulled them apart. They are in good shape, though. I've started sanding all the tenons, but I don't want to remove too much materials for fear of making the joint sloppy. I also don't want to open up the mortise too much by cleaning it out.

Here's a pic of what the door looks like: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DN

Scroll down to Traditional #11 with 12-lite grilles.

What's the best way to clean and prep these joints before I re-glue the assembly back together? I plan to use a water resistant yellow glue, finish with a light stain and several coats of polyurethane, and brass hardware.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oh my, I think you should have posted sooner. You don't need to "clean" mortise and tenon joints. No one can see inside them. They came apart they should have been able to go back together. You might find that now you need to use a filling glue like epoxy or gorilla glue. You'll definitely need to pay attention to squaring the door when you reglue it. If joints go back together and fit tightly - leave them alone. The interior of joints don't need to be cleaned.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would just lightly sand the with some 180 sand paper to get the old glue off. Like Jack said, no will see them. I would use some Titebond III to glue your storm doors back togehter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts