Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got this at the flea market #4siegley bench plane.the guy had this #4 and #10 a older genltemen was lookin at em to,It seems like he saw me interested in them let me make a offer first(i guess because iam younger),so I only took the #4 and left the 10 for him,he could have given the money to the guy and said seeya.but he didnt so I have this nice plane I like these lesser known planes.its before stanley bought siegley in 1905.I really wanted the 10 it was a fore plane size or jointer size but i left for him,he ididnt have to wait for me to make offer and wait for me to get rest of cash of my wife that was nice of him.Thanx mike if your reading this or if you go on this site! I got it for 39$not bad its prelateral so its old iam searching now to find a round about date chris

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you they are easy on the eyes This plane will be a joy to use.Theres nothing wrong with my stanleys and bedrocks still nice looking planes flat top bedrocks are very nice,but I like the differnt planes makers,the good ones not the cheap ones.I got chaplin improved block plane standerd block plane,I just like the way it looks.Something like a chaplin adjustable mouth block plane or a siegley is on my list.I hope to find a hazard knowels bench plane one day.I cant find much info on this siegley.the handle and tote are painted black but the bottom of them the part that mounts to the casting isnt painted and looks like mahogany.I wonder did siegley paint the mahogany or did some one else?I hate painted wood on bench planes and anything else.So if anyone has a good site that I missed let me know

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
very nice work by the way,gideon.I just got a type 5 71 router plane a few weeks ago, you think it would be good for inlays cleaning up dados?Iam only 20mins away from philly ,mullica hill

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its a single iron blade no chipbreaker well besides the lever cap,maybe that can help with round-about year?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the plane at a flea market,I been searching all kinds of differnt keywords I cant find much as to tell what type or even pics of that type that is prelateral and with that leaver cap or the ribs on the top,corrugated sole has well.I have a hard time finding anyone thats in to these tools around me,but there are if it was for sites like this it would be hard to find other people in to this stuff

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have stopped by the flea market on 13 in delaware a few timesI saw a few guys sellin lumber out of a van I wanted to get prices and a card off them.good lumber though woodcrafters is a bit pricey. i got the plane in a NJ flea market

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I trying to find out how and rare it is,it has 5% jappening left and black paint on knob and tote i dont think its supposed to have the paint or not.It looks like they never took the tote &knob off because the bottoms are not painted so I dont think its factory.Looks like mahogany from the bottoms that were not painted.Before I go blasting it and spray paint engine enamal.I think iam goin to remove the black paint anyway.I cant find any info on siegley or to maney pics of one that looks like this one.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I've got a #4 and #6 Siegley. I haven't had a chance to clean them up yet. I really like the design. Siegley started putting lat adjusters on their bench planes around 1896, so yours is before that. According to Roger Smith's book, the knob and tote were beech. The Tote may have been checkered. I can't find any dates of when Siegley made his first bench plane, but if I had to guess buy what I've read, it would be around 1893.

·
Registered
455 Posts
G'day mate,
I spoted your post so I joined the forum to jump in.
Your No.4 Siegley is a real beauty.
Jacob Siegley started making his bench planes in 1892.
Yours looks to be a little here and there, in that the planes body is a type 3 made in 1893-94.
The number was added to the cap on the type 4 1894-95.
The handle looks right for a type 2, as it has no checkering on it , that was added on the type 3.
The cap screw looks a little funny, I've never seen a Siegley one like that.
Anyway I hope that helps a little.
Just as a foot note: Siegley sold his business to The Stanley Rule & Level Company in 1901.
All the planes after that time made under the name of The Siegley Tool Company, where actually made by Stanley.
Cheers mate.

·
Registered
711 Posts
G'day mate,
I spoted your post so I joined the forum to jump in.
Your No.4 Siegley is a real beauty.
Jacob Siegley started making his bench planes in 1892.
Yours looks to be a little here and there, in that the planes body is a type 3 made in 1893-94.
The number was added to the cap on the type 4 1894-95.
The handle looks right for a type 2, as it has no checkering on it , that was added on the type 3.
The cap screw looks a little funny, I've never seen a Siegley one like that.
Anyway I hope that helps a little.
Just as a foot note: Siegley sold his business to The Stanley Rule & Level Company in 1901.
All the planes after that time made under the name of The Siegley Tool Company, where actually made by Stanley.
Cheers mate.

I would be extremely interested to know where you got this information. Is there a book? Website?

Roger Smith says Siegley sold his business to The Stanley Rule & Level Company in 1905. I don't know who is correct.

·
Registered
455 Posts
John Rumpf's book Plane Makers of Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvnia is the best starting point!
It was written in 2007 so I don't think John would mind me saying some, of it is a little dated as more planes make their way onto the market.
If your've been looking around the net to information, I'm shore you would have noticed that theres very little.
I started collecting Siegley's a few years ago, mainly the No.2 Adjustable Planes. Since then I've been lucky enough to find quite a few versions that arn't listed.
At the moment I have 25 No.2 planes and 10 bench planes.
You'll find theres a lot of questions as to the history of the Siegley planes, but until more research is done it's a little sketchy at best.
But the man did make some beautiful planes.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you gentlemen!That is the answer Ive been looking for.I couldnt find much info on the planes on the net.At first I thought it was a chapmen when I first looked at it,but the guy said it was a siegley,The only info I could find that he filed for his patent in 1893 and stanley bought him up in 1902.Nothin in the way of A type study.I love the plane I get tired of the stanleys nothing wrong with them,one wants to find A good differnt plane.it took me a bit to figure out the not so good lesser known plane makers(the ones you just used baileys expierd patents and made a cheap plane) then the ones who made a good plane with their own patents.this Is the type I have been looking for.very beautiful tool.it looks like a well made tool.So I gotta get that book.Repliconics and timetestedtools should I leave this ol boy has is?are they rare or scarice or common?Thank you for your time. chris ps so your saying is got parts from differnt types?could they have had left over main castings left and other parts and slapped it toghter?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts