Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a project that requires a couple of 2" diameter holes to be drilled/cut into some 3/4" thick boards. I used a hole saw the first time but it took a quite a while and was pretty tough on the saw blade. Is there a better method for cutting the holes? Should I drill a series of smaller holes and clean it up with a stencil and router? This is a project that I may end up using as gifts so I may be drilling quite a few of these holes if I can find a more efficient method.

Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Geez next time try to be a little faster guys. :smile:

I have never used one before, but those bits look like they will make life much easier. Thanks for the quick suggestions.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
One way I cut discs, or holes, is with a router and template.

Using different guide bushings, youcan cut different sizes, with the same template.

Be sure to secure the work. Both the disc, and stock around it. I double tape it down. A fixture could be made to clamp the work, below the template, for faster use.

Attachments

·
Registered
914 Posts
If you plan to make different size holes in the future an adjustable router circle jig is invaluable in my opinion. It could be as simple as a piece of 1/4" hardboard with pivot holes drilled at different distances or more elaborate as mine is since I use it almost daily for many different sized holes.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/easily-adjustable-router-circle-jig-59939/

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Using a forstner bit on q drill press be sure to clamp a backer board between the work piece and the DP table.

this will protect the bit and assure a clean exit.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I agree with using a template if you have many of one thing you need to make. Of course you'll need a good way to make a good template. Lately I cheat though and use my small CNC if the board will fit on it. With holes it takes a few seconds to draw the file and toolpath it the first time. Then you just load the file, center and Home the bit where you want the hole centered, and run. Great for any hole you don't have a Forstner or hole saw for. Great for making perfect templates when the board itself won't fit on the CNC. If you have several holes to cut on the same sheet, then all can be programmed to cut in the same session on the CNC.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The reason hole saws perform so poorly is that the sawdust has nowhere to go. They cut much better if you drill a small (lets say 1/4") relief hole just inside the kerf.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts