Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to treat lumber and or plywood, so that they don't expand (or shrink, if that's possible?) due to humidity after being assembled?

I want to paint a cabinet with automotive paint and clear. I read that it's not very tolerant of this, and it will crack.

Thanks.

·
Making sawdust in MS
4,000 Posts
Plywood is more stable than solid wood, due to how it is made . So it won't be expanding and contracting on you.

·
Registered
629 Posts
MDF will be the most stable. Spend some needed time sealing any edges. It'll suck up more finish than you can afford.:yes:
Keep in mind that MDF is heavy, so think over how you secure the cab to whatever surface it will be applied.
Bill

·
Registered
27,644 Posts
The only treatment for wood is time. It may take a hundred years for solid wood to stop shrinking. A lot of automotive paints won't tolerate wood movement. I think if you use a 2k urethane it would be elastic enough to work. If you could use MDF like Bill White suggested that would help.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Why do you want to use an automotive finish? Automotive finishes are formulated to work best on non-porous surfaces. In addition, most auto finishes have been reformulated in recent years to deal with VOC issues. They are also intended to be force dried and cured in most cases.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You can stabilize wood using vacuum impregnation with epoxy or better acrylic resin (google "TexTurn Cactus juice"). But I have seen that only for pen turning blanks. It would be complicated and quite expensive for a full sized board.

That said, I am looking into doing exactly that to make precise mechanical parts (that must not move with humidity) out of solid wood. Not sure if it really can be done.

·
Super Moderator
4,421 Posts
Wood moves with humidity changes. It is what it is and pretty much nothing you do will stop it. Nature of the beast. Use a paint designed for wood.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts