Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a cabinet that I want to finish a dark cherry color. I'm thinking pre-finished plywood because the interior color matches the existing cabinets and it seems like I could save a fair bit of time.

But i've got a couple of questions.

I've never stained a cabinet, everything I've done has been painted and much less intimidating. I can find Birch and Maple prefin locally but from what i understand, Maple doesn't stain well. How does Birch handle it?

Also, common sense tells me that I should make the drawer fronts from the same material I make the body out of to get a consistent grain. Is that the case or can I mix materials?

I'm also running across 1 and 2 sided pre fin, does that mean just what it says? Are both sides finished on the 2 sided ply?

I know these may seem like newb questions... but I'm a newb :)

Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Fred,

I'll have to go take a look at what my local yard has. It may be that pre-finished is not the right material for this job, I guess it's not what I thought it was. I was thinking it would be a time saver but in this application, maybe not.

Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.