Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the boards.

I'm looking for information regarding the type of furniture that they used during the 1800's, pre civil war

thanks

·
Registered
629 Posts
Not sure that I understand the question. There were as many variables as there were lifestyles, wealth (or lack thereof).
Fine homes had a LOT of very ornate furniture.
Give us a bit more info so we can help.
Oh, WELCOME!
Bill

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about that.

I'm looking for the type of style that the early pioneers would have. also the type that would be used at rendezvouses.

When did the use of log furniture start?

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
Sorry about that.

I'm looking for the type of style that the early pioneers would have. also the type that would be used at rendezvouses.

When did the use of log furniture start?
It varied greatly by region and the culture settled there. I can help you if it's the Gulf Coast you are interested in but I haven't branched out a lot past that.

Immigrants with them whatever style they left behind - and, at least initially, have very strong ties to that in architecture, furniture, food etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It varied greatly by region and the culture settled there. I can help you if it's the Gulf Coast you are interested in but I haven't branched out a lot past that.

Immigrants with them whatever style they left behind - and, at least initially, have very strong ties to that in architecture, furniture, food etc.
Yes you can help. Any and all would be greatly appreciated.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
The furniture styles vary a great deal around the country in that era and it could vary from very fancy highly carved to plain and simple to rustic. If it is a local interest you might look to museums in your area to see what was built locally. If it is just pre-civil war furniture you might just google that in google images.

·
Registered
12,988 Posts
This is a subject about which many hundreds ( probably thousands) of volumes are written. Even just one tiny subset has hundreds of volumes.

What is it that is your specific interest? You need to provide a lot more information.

George

·
Woodenboat Builder
327 Posts
Sounds like you're looking to hear up for going to rendezvous which I do quite a bit of myself. There have been hundreds of articles and millions of arguments over what is and what isn't "period correct" for rendezvous. Part of the arguments stem from the fact that period correct furniture in a Charleston mansion would not be correct at a rendezvous in Green River. If you are in fact doing this for rendezvous use then you should be a member over at http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/fusionbb.php there is some good info there and some folks Ruth good answers based off ofuch research. There are also opinionated answers based on personal theory too so as always follow answers up with more research!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like you're looking to hear up for going to rendezvous which I do quite a bit of myself. There have been hundreds of articles and millions of arguments over what is and what isn't "period correct" for rendezvous. Part of the arguments stem from the fact that period correct furniture in a Charleston mansion would not be correct at a rendezvous in Green River. If you are in fact doing this for rendezvous use then you should be a member over at http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/fusionbb.php there is some good info there and some folks Ruth good answers based off ofuch research. There are also opinionated answers based on personal theory too so as always follow answers up with more research!!
that is where i need to be

1 - 9 of 9 Posts