Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 1/2" PowerTwist V Belt for my General International Contractor Saw to replace my regular belt which is ready to go.

Got the belt sized and ready to install but it doesn't fit my pulleys!? I assumed 1/2" is a standard size, especially since all I saw advertised are 1/2" belts. Does anyone have a similar situation or experience? Are General Int. pulleys typically smaller, 3/8?

I am not really seeing any v belts smaller than 1/2", would it be worth it to increase the size of the pulleys on the arbor and motor?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
The link style belts do not fit down into the pulley groove as far as an ordinary V belt, especially when new. There are 3/8" and 1/2", just measure the width of the groove at the top on your pulley. When worn in, the link belt will be proud of the pulley about 1/16". Folks often upgrade the pulleys to cast balanced ones along with adding the belt. In my experience the difference is little for the cost and not worth it unless you have real cheap pulleys and know they are wobbling. The pulley on the arbor shaft usually doesn't have enough room for a pulley that is larger in circumference. You can use 1/2" pulleys but it might be what you have.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oddly enough, the pulley is a 3/8". I presumed a higher end saw such as General would use the more standard 1/2", but o well i guess. Not going to go through the trouble of changing out pulleys. It is tough to find a 3/8" V Link belt so I will just go back to a regular V belt. Instead of returning my purchase and dealing with shipping, I will just use it on my jointer which has a 1/2" pulley.

Thanks for the assistance Hammer

1 - 4 of 4 Posts