Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of building a long countertop. I will have tools incorporated into the top. Since they all have different heights what can I use to level them to the top?

·
7,222 Posts
A little clarification will help with advise.

Are the tools going to be installed in recesses built into the top or just mounted on the top?

Are you desiring the surface/table of each tool to be at the same height. Depending on the answer to previous question, this would be either the height of the top or the height of the tallest table.

If you are building recesses, you need to design the depth for a given tool. Consider installing levelling feet for each tool. These are not expensive and will save a lot of fussing with the top or the recesses.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001073/10131/T-Nut-Levelers-4-pack.aspx

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I'm confused as well....I initially read this as how do I level the counter? No?

·
7,222 Posts
Sorry guys. Tools recessed with top creating a long support surface. Like this pic as am example. But more tools on it
Thanks for the clarification.

I would make a top like the picture - one straight surface with a hinged support / layout surface or shelf.

I would look at the tool with the largest distance between table and bottom to determine the distance between the top and the support surface.

I would then use a combination of pieces of plywood/MDF and the levelling screws I linked earlier to get the other tools to have their tables level with the support surface.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I would make them all where the tools set low to the surface top and then use leveling screws or plan a board for the proper thickness to reach the correct tool height. The reason for this is if you try to build to the correct hight and you are off slightly high it would be hard to correct.
Tom

·
Registered
292 Posts
My RAS and SCMS are on each end of a roller, mounted to a custom built workbench. I had to mount the RAS lower because of its' depth. The key is to measure the height of the cutting plane for each tool that you want to mount, and then make a detailed drawing of the workbench with modifications for each tool height and where you want them mounted in the workbench.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts