Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here. I just bought a PM1000 and discovered I can not find a dado insert plate available anywhere for it. Now I'm wondering if the dado insert for the PM2000 will fit the 1000?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Welcome......have you considered making your own? I made about half a dozen for my saw for 5 bucks worth of plywood and some set screws.....beats 30 bucks each....

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
aaron52 said:
Hi, I'm new here. I just bought a PM1000 and discovered I can not find a dado insert plate available anywhere for it. Now I'm wondering if the dado insert for the PM2000 will fit the 1000?
Aaron the best inserts are either made or purchased without a slot so you can make it a zero clearance insert. I have one I can turn one way for zero and the other way for dado. You can do this if the blade doesn't come up in the center of the insert.

image-604446043.jpg

I bought this one over 20 years ago.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
aaron52 said:
Welcome to the forum.

Al

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks much for the info fellows. I was planning on eventually making a zero clearance insert for the standard blade, but wondered if it was practical for a dado blade.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Sure...I've got a few with different thickness dado slots in them....home made ones are just as good. I make mine out of 1/2 inch Baltic birch.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I'm with the guys on this one. I personally made a dado insert for 1/4", 3/8" 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4". This covers the range of things I might need. I also just made blanks while I was at it. It's good to do a production run for this purpose.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I repurpose my old zero clearance ones. As they get older they start to get rough around the slot. They get set aside until I need a narrow dado insert, and recut. Narrow dado inserts get recycled to a bit wider.

When I start a narrow dado I fit it to the blade height I need for the current cut. So an insert that was set up for a half by 3/8 dado, will later get cut for the height needed to cut shoulders on a tenon.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Al B Thayer said:
Aaron the best inserts are either made or purchased without a slot so you can make it a zero clearance insert. I have one I can turn one way for zero and the other way for dado. You can do this if the blade doesn't come up in the center of the insert. I bought this one over 20 years ago. Al Nails only hold themselves.

That is brilliant!!! I have got a couple of pieces of corain scraps, I am off to the shop to build one.

Thanks Al!

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Ttharp said:
That is brilliant!!! I have got a couple of pieces of corain scraps, I am off to the shop to build one.

Thanks Al!
Good for you. I built a router fixture out of Corian and found it to be perfect for fixtures and the lot. Easy to mark and easier to cut than I thought. I used white. I also can't be sure if it's Corian or an off brand but their is one problem. It doesn't slide on wood very well. Not slick. This might be only true on walnut as that's the only wood I've used it on. I tapped it for screws too which is another advantage over wood. Now I just wax it before I use it but I'm looking for a better way to make it slide.

Al

1 - 11 of 11 Posts