Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A man has offered me this saw. I know Powermatic is supposed to be very good, but that's all I know. I have these photos of the front and the top. Somebody said be sure that it isn't a 3-phase motor. I'm just ignorant enough that I don't know why that is a problem or how to tell.

Any thoughts? Any ideas?

I would be renovating this and it would eventually replace a nice little 1953 Craftsman 10". I like the craftsman but...

Thanks very much!

Chuck Barnett

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know. I expect one could tell by reading the plate on it. I hope to look at it more closely with a friend early this week.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Since it has the plug attached that's another way to tell. Four prongs = 3 phase (L1,L2,L3 plus ground). Single phase would have 3 prongs (2 hot plus ground for 220v or 1 hot 1 neutral plus ground for 110v). The motor plate is the best way to tell. It will always state the phase. That is unless it's missing, corroded or so heavily painted over you can't read it. Nice saw, should restore beautifully.

EDIT: In looking at that 1st pic it appears that the conduit box is hanging off the motor. It should be attached. Inspect the wires to make sure the insulation is intact, particularly those entering the motor housing. I downloaded the last pic and blew up the portion with the plug to see how many prongs it has. I THINK it's a three prong (single phase) but can't be 100% sure.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, John! I did get a call back from the owner who is pretty sure it is single phase. I'll know more in a couple of days. :smile:

·
Registered
902 Posts
I've heard of the PM 66 saw. I guess the PM 65 is the same with the PM 66. It looks to be a decent saw; just refurbish it and get a good fence system. How much is the table saw worth?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts