Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used equipment reseller offers 8" Powermatic, 1.5 hp, single-phase "115/208/230". Serial number and the table height adjustment wheel make me think it was built in 1983. Interesting first owner, who tagged it: (Smithsonian Institution). No cracks, moderate table rust. Everything that should move does, but haven't seen it powered-up.

Question 1: Seller offers for $1k, "but we'll work with you". This is no steal, but needs to be a respectable deal. What's fair?

Question 2: What do I need to do to my circuit box to accommodate this tool? (Have one 220 circuit now, serving table saw.)

Company buys in huge volumes, limited inspection. Buyer's 'safety-net' is a 30-day return policy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I have the same unit 78 or 79 is when Mine was built. I would assume that grey box is a 3 phase converter - mine does not have it. I love my jointer. Paid $550. for it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
115v you should be able to plug it in a wall outlet depending on the amps. I have no idea on value but it sounds like a nice one.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Forget about everything else concerning power. "115/208/230" just doesn't make electrical sense. Especially when single phase is specified.

Single phase is usually 115 or 230. The 208 is normally the effective three phase voltage.

If the gray box is a phase converter, that makes even less sense for a 115 machine.

A 1-1/2 HP motor will run on 115 and 15 ampere circuit. A 20 ampere circuit is better. So you'll plug the unit into a normal, ordinary, household circuit. If the circuit is "really" 15 amperes and wired with 14 gauge wire, the machine will struggle a bit on start up but it will run. A circuit using 12 gauge wire is much better.

New 8" models are about $2000. The one that you're looking at is 30 years old.

The new model 60C machines are 230 volt and listed as single phase. Thus the confusion starts. A picture of the power plug and the power requirements serial plate on the motor will tell a huge amount.

You say that the seller is a reseller. Remember they are in business to make money. My guess is that they paid less than $500 and probably won't sell it for less than $750, TODAY.

This would be my strategy. First ask a simple question, "What voltage is the machine wired for today? Could I see a picture of the power plug and the motor power/phase requirements plate?" This does a couple of things. First "We have a hot one." Second, it makes them look at the machine to give you an answer.

Assuming that the machine is a true single phase machine, I would offer $500 saying that you think that you can make it work on the electricity in your shop. Almost certainly they will turn you down. Your answer would be, "Well, keep me in mind." I think that in a few months you'll hear from them asking of you're still interested. Then the answer would be well I'm looking at a used Oliver or Grizzly for $525. See what happens.

Here is the thing that seems so illogical. The machine is 1-1/2 HP. That basically means the machine is 115 volts and single phase and can be wired to run on 230 volts single phase. But we have the grey box that probably is a phase converter. WHY? (Illogical) 115 volts can be directly wired from three phase. (One phase to neutral is ordinary single phase 115 volt service.) 115 volts can be directly wired from 230 volts single phase. (One of the hot, red or black, to neutral.) So why the phase converter?

AND

The phase converter seems backward. Normally we use phase converters to take single phase to operate a three phase tool.

·
Registered
27,653 Posts
The price for the machine would be hard to determine. The location of where it is would account for a lot of the price. I'm in the Dallas area and equipment is normally 50% higher here than on the east or west coast. Powermatic though will hold it's resale value. It looks like it was well cared for so I would look at it as though it was a new piece of equipment. I also imagine it is built better than a new Powermatic jointer would be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts