Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

We have an introduction section where you can say a few words about yourself. If you fill out your profile in your "User Control Panel", you can list any hobbies, experience or other facts. You can also list your general geographical location which would be a help in answering some questions.

That saw is 3 phase. If you have 3 phase power it's a great deal.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Very nice saw for sure, but as Cabinetman points out it's got a 3-phase motor. You'll either need to get a single phase motor, get/make a static converter, or will need 3-phase power for it....residential power is single phase. Figure the total cost, then evaluate how good of a deal it is.

The only aftermarket riving knife I know of for older saws is the BORK, and I don't think it'll fit the PM66....worth looking into to confirm. There are definitely some good splitters available for it.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
As mentioned....make sure you have a plan to provide it with 3 phase power. If you do, it's a great deal. If you don't, it's a very heavy paperweight.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
A new 66 with 50" fence rails, router insert, 3hp runs around $3400. You could get a new 3hp motor in the $500 range, no need for 5hp. That saw also has a mobile base, I'd say it's a heck of a deal, maybe too good to be true. I would already be there with cash in hand.

·
Sawdust Wrangler
482 Posts
Hello, I'm a novice woodworking who is looking to purchase a used table saw. I came across this ad for a used saw and am wondering if this is a good deal.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tls/4255991741.html

Also, is it possible to use a riving knife with the model 66?

Thanks!
here's what they claim is the perfect motor to replace it, not cheap though

Powermatic 6472335 Model 184C Horsepower 3450 RPM Baldor Replacement Motor for the Model 66, 72A, and 74 Table Saws, 230-Volt 1 Phase - Amazon.com

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Warner makes a good point about the phase converter. There are inexpensive phase converters that yield about 70% the power of the motor. So you would be running about 3 HP from the 5 HP motor.

The motor doesn't have to be a Baldor brand. The motor can be almost any brand provided that the "Frame" style is the same.

As for wiring inside the saw, 3 phase vs. single phase. Most new machines are wired internally for 3 phase. When a single phase model is needed a single phase motor is installed and the third wire is taped off. (L3 is not used.) Machines with magnetic switches use a single phase (Usually L1) to operate the magnetic switch.

BTW - I asked SCE for a quote to run three phase to my home. (About 75 yards) They were willing for $25K.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts