Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year!

I'm I'm desperate need of a table saw upgrade...

So in the local classified ads I found a PowerMatic model 66 table saw. This saw does not come with a fence or miter gauge but it appears to be a very good value at $450 (maybe I can even negotiate for less.)

What do you think? How much would it run for me to buy a reasonably priced gently used fence for the saw? Thanks for your comments. Photo of saw attached.

image-1543965739.jpg

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Assuming single phase and all else operates properly, I'd look seriously at it.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Is the fence rail included? If so, most of the commercial size Biese clones fences will mount right to it....Shop Fox Classic, Biese, Jet Xacta II, HTC, PM Accufence, and possibly a Steel City or Saw Stop, which should be less than buying both rail and fence.

As Toolguy eluded to, if it's 3-phase there's more money and complication in play. If it's single phase, it'd be ready to go with standard 220v.

I'd also want to make sure the miter slots haven't been overly worn. Looks like it'll need a throat insert too. $450 isn't a steal IMO in that condition, but could be a solid buy depending on the answers to some of the questions.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More info:

It's single phase

It's been "completely rebuilt" and comes with a 220 5hp motor. Serious upgrade?

I'll take a look at it this afternoon.

Is like as many opinions as possible

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More info: rail included as is a 10 foot 220 cord and on/off switch (not in photo).

Question: how heavy is this sucker?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Looking at the pic, the phrase "completely rebuilt" must have a different meaning than what I'm used to. In any case, it can be 240V but still be 3 phase. If it's a single phase saw it could well be a worth while project, but I'd sure want to pay a little less than he's asking.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I'll be interested to hear the outcome. Despite my misgivings about this particular saw, the PM 66 s one of my favorites.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WarnerConstInc. said:
easily worth the 450. A complete single phase 66 is worth north if 1200 bucks. You have room for repair, use it for years. 600 pounds. Easily managed solo, even into the bed of a truck.
Thanks for the input, warnerconst. What do you mean easily managed solo? How so? How would I move this beast? I don't have a forklift and my wife is skinny and weak :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just from the picture, it is beat up and missing parts.
I know some guys like "projects", and it might be good for that at the right price; but I doubt it can be used without another rebuild.

If you take the table and motor off, two people could move it; though you would probably want a 200 pound neighbor instead of a skinny wife.

Last year I paid a moving company $200 to move 2,500 pounds of tools from my garage where they were delivered to my walkout basement; incredible bargain.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Toller said:
Just from the picture, it is beat up and missing parts. I know some guys like "projects", and it might be good for that at the right price; but I doubt it can be used without another rebuild. If you take the table and motor off, two people could move it; though you would probably want a 200 pound neighbor instead of a skinny wife. Last year I paid a moving company $200 to move 2,500 pounds of tools from my garage where they were delivered to my walkout basement; incredible bargain.
Good call, Toller. I don't disagree with anything you said. Hiring a moving company is a GREAT idea. That way I don't injure MYSELF or my saw ;). I'll definitely go that route on future heavy weight moves

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So more on this saw. It was made in 1994, has a Baldor 5hp 1 phase motor. The arbor and all the spinny stuff was replaced within the past 3 months. The guy bought two of these at once from a guy sight unseen. He cleaned the other one up and uses it daily in a door mfg shop. This one is just taking up space. Everything seems tight about it. Starts up, super quiet, no vibration, etc. No fence or miter gauge included - that's the only bummer. He's asking $450 and another guy is "very interested."

Guy seems like he takes good care of his stuff when it's used. The other saw had a rusty top also, very little pitting. Just surface rust. Polished up pretty good. The one for sale would probably polish up easily as well...

I need to decide soon if I want to strike and buy this...Please weigh in asap!

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am leaning heavily towards getting the saw, and now that I was able to recruit my neighbor to use his forklift to take if off the trailer and into my garage, I feel more confident knowing I can actually UNLOAD this beast :)

That's a killer fence. I'll have to save up some more chips and go all out on a great fence like that as the fence is just as important as the saw

1 - 20 of 24 Posts