Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Bob F.
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought an old Powermatic 63 Table saw that had been used for 20 years to build sets for the theater groups at MIT. Lots of paint, some rust, lots of gunk---but it had a nice 50" Vega fence and was quite cheap. I disassembled everything and it's all cleaned up now. Put on the PALS alignment thingy after spending many hours getting the blade aligned to the miter slots. Added a new link belt.

Put it all back together and was ready to go, after doing the easy stuff like setting the 90 degree stop, which was off. Unfortunately, even with the stop screw completely loose, the closest the blade gets to vertical is 89.5 degrees.

Anyone had this problem? Anyone have a solution, hopefully one that doesn't require me to take the saw apart again?

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
powermatic artesian saw

I have the same problem, and I also have a problem in that my arbor will not stay adjusted in the up position. the blade lowers itself as it spins. I know I have broken something off, just don't know what. I will let you know once I figure out how to solve it. Jim

·
"Drill" Sergeant
141 Posts
Have you tried calling their tech support? That is where I would start.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Pm 63

I have that saw as well. The saw belonged to my father who used it for his carpentry business since 1989 when he bought it new.
Bob, I have not had a problem setting the blade to 90 degress. Wish I could help with that one. I do need to look at the saw when I get home from work to help Jim. I did have that problem, so did my father. He fixed it with a paint can and string to keep tension on the . I remember something on that shaft for the height adjustment being not in the right place anymore. I am thinking it is that pointer on that shaft. I had to loosen a set screw and pull it all the way towards the knob in front or push it back then retighten. What happened was the lock knob in the center was tight but did not do anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts