Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have working on tuning up my old saw. Is the motor suppose to be mounted on a angle? This is the best I can get it so far.-no laughing.
I can run it now strait and at a 45 angle without blowing a fuse or throwing the belt. When I tilt or raise the blade it puts more tension on the belt. I had to mount the motor tilted half way to compensate.

Any of you guys have a old saw with a design like this?

Untitled by [email protected], on Flickr

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have working on tuning up my old saw. Is the motor suppose to be mounted on a angle? This is the best I can get it so far.-no laughing.
I can run it now strait and at a 45 angle without blowing a fuse or throwing the belt. When I tilt or raise the blade it puts more tension on the belt. I had to mount the motor tilted half way to compensate.

Any of you guys have a old saw with a design like this?

Untitled by [email protected], on Flickr
It's a little hard to tell from your picture but the entire motor assembly should be perfectly plumb with the blade, any deviation in angle is going to put more wear on either side of your belt and ruin it quickly.

The motor is also supposed to travel with the blade when you miter and adjust on a spring when you raise/lower the blade.

I recommend giving us the model number so we can find you a manual. Take the motor off and lube up and clean the arbor mechanism really well and make sure nuts are tightened properly.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Looking closer at your photo it appears that isn't the correct motor or at least it was horribly mounted. like I said before, the motor/lift/miter/arbor/blade assembly are a single unit that are meant to tilt together and tension properly when the blade is raised/lowered.

Take the motor off, if you can't find a mounting hole that matches the original assembly mount then it's not the correct motor and will need to be altered.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the best way so far. I can mount the motor strait but when you tilt the saw to 45 degree its to much of a angle and the belt is to tight. Never saw the original motor and maybe I'm missing something.

·
Registered
387 Posts
This is the best way so far. I can mount the motor strait but when you tilt the saw to 45 degree its to much of a angle and the belt is to tight. Never saw the original motor and maybe I'm missing something.
The slack shouldn't change at all when you tilt the arbor because the motor should tilt with it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The motor does slide but no tilting. In the picture above the motor you can see where it slides. It has the same bar at the bottom .

·
Registered
387 Posts
The motor does slide but no tilting. In the picture above the motor you can see where it slides. It has the same bar at the bottom .
Are you the original owner of the saw? Something doesn't look right there. It looks like the motor is mounted to the blade guard mount.

Can you take some closer up pictures of the motor and the blade setup?

Did you find the model #?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK afx. I will take the motor off and get a picture of the mounting. I can find the model # also. I have a manual but it doesn't tell much. I was given the saw years ago without a motor. I always used my grandpas saw and this was in storage.

·
Registered
387 Posts
OK afx. I will take the motor off and get a picture of the mounting. I can find the model # also. I have a manual but it doesn't tell much. I was given the saw years ago without a motor. I always used my grandpas saw and this was in storage.
Ok cool bud. I'm intrigued by your table saw :)

Keep me posted.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I would take out the bolts holding the motor. Position the motor, hopefully, with a hole or two, lining up. Drill as many holes, to get 4 bolts, holding the motor in alignment

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did more adjusting and it seems if you leave the motor mounted loose its able to slide in the slots and center it self pretty well. I ran it at 90 deg. and 45 deg and it seemed to start stop and raise the blade good. I think the slop in the mounting is what it needed,when you bolt that motor tight it binds it all up.

Let me know what you were thinking afx but I think its good now.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Did more adjusting and it seems if you leave the motor mounted loose its able to slide in the slots and center it self pretty well. I ran it at 90 deg. and 45 deg and it seemed to start stop and raise the blade good. I think the slop in the mounting is what it needed,when you bolt that motor tight it binds it all up.

One might just be surprised how many of that saw design is set up new without the owner observing the instruction manual and leaving that pivot cap screw tightened. Then their saw doesn't work right and the next thing it's for sale for cheap.
That screw is usually a special with some provision to prevent movement like vibrating out. Possibly nylock or similar.

·
Registered
387 Posts

I was thinking of suggesting the same thing, that bolt that has 2 locknuts on it appears to be the tensioner, when you raise the blade, it moves the motor closer keeping tension on while giving enough slack for the blade to rise.

The top and bottom mounting rods look like they need to be straightened up and probably greased. It looks like the motor should travel to the left/right when you tilt the blade.

Looks like you're all set! Glad it all worked out for ya. That's quite an odd saw you've got there :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts