Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everybody,

I didn't know where to post this one, so decided to post it here, Moderators please feel free to remove it if it is not the right place.

Ok, so last Sunday a friend and I were having discussion on how to install hardwood floors. He is moving to a new house in suburbs and his recent acquisition needs some work including hardwood floor installation. He has decided to do things himself. So we started with what power tools are necessary for this. And I got an idea of why not share this with you all also.

Now I maybe wrong and would appreciate you correcting me.

So here's the list we thought should be good.

Nailer

An angle nailer is used to fasten solid hardwood into place. A straight finish nailer for face-nailing, for example near wall where angle nailer can't fit.

Jamb Saw

The jamb saw is handy especially when it comes to wood floor installation beneath the trim around doors. It can be fixed to the height of the completed wood floor and used in cutting doorposts prior to installation below the doorpost in order to attain professional-like results.

Jig Saw

Where it is not possible to make special cuts with a table saw, or miter saw, the jigsaw comes in handy. It can be used to make a neat cut in case there is a pipe bulging through the floor, for instance kitchen islands, a task that is impossible with other cutting tools.

·
Registered
530 Posts
You need a finish nailer as well for face-nailing when you are too close to the wall for the flooring nailer to fit.

Many of the tools you wrote have overlap - ie. if you have A, you won't need B, so you could confuse people into thinking they'll need 1 of each.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I did a 3/4" Brazilian cherry floor for a friend of mine recently. I ran the slats at a 45 degree angle and in doing so increased the number of cuts. But she really loved the look.

For that job, I used a CSMS, an angle flooring nailer, a straight nailer, a trim hand saw, a hammer, a speed square, a tape measure and a pencil and razor knife for marking. No need for a table saw because no boards needed ripping. But the CSMS was invaluable. It was my first time using a flooring nailer, a hammer type. I found getting into corners a real pain, no room to swing the hammer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am definitely asking what is needed. All inputs are welcome. What I have written is a part of discussion that I had with my friend. So thought it will be a good idea to share it with the community and even get your ideas.

Julie Mor, thanks for your inputs :thumbsup:

rbk123 - Let me know what tools I am overlapping here, so I will edit it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Add to that list a good straight edge or a four or six foot level...possibly an oscillating multi tool for jambs, um, good to see jig saw in there (for cutting in the occasional register or odd little bump out). Chalkline for layout (not entirely necessary for everyone),...hmmm. Well, that's all I can think to add for the moment.

·
where's my table saw?
28,730 Posts
Are you a blogger or spammer?

Are you asking what is needed or telling us what you think is needed?

George
Right...asking or telling?
You seem to be giving specific advice, yet because of the duplications in this thread you also sound confused. What is your expertise in laying hardwood floor and are you a professional?
Normally a link to a site by a new member, will be removed by the moderators to prevent spamming.

I am also confused. What is your real purpose for joining here, getting exposure to your site? :blink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right...asking or telling?
You seem to be giving specific advice, yet because of the duplications in this thread you also sound confused. What is your expertise in laying hardwood floor and are you a professional?
Normally a link to a site by a new member, will be removed by the moderators to prevent spamming.

I am also confused. What is your real purpose for joining here, getting exposure to your site? :blink:
Absolutely not! I have removed those links to dispel your doubts. I simply wanted to know what all is needed so that I can help my friend. Again its not me who will be doing it. I have already mentioned that I need expert advice for helping my friend. I will appreciate your helpful advice.

However, people have been really helpful here. And I have got most of the answers.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
if you're just on power tools, they may need a drill & bits if any holes are required (hydronic baseboard heat pipes).

non-power tools - blocks for tapping the flooring tight. they can be purchased or use a cut off. i like to install pre-finished - so i don't like to use the hammer face. too risky to damage the board.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
I am just going to say this to......well,I don't know why,but it needs to be said.

Uhhh,theres been an awful lot of flooring put down over the centuries with nothing more than a handsaw,a chisel,and a hammer.My father always used to use 600 ft(one guy/per day) as a "requirement" for anyone calling themselves a "floor man".Mind you,this back in the day of NO power tools and hand nailing cut nails.

I grew up doing it.....and 600 is workin your arse off!And you just can't call yourself a builder 'till you've "buzzed" your fingers whilst setting those trim cut nails with.....another cut nail,haha.You old timers on here know EXACTLY what I'm talkin about,haha.....it hurts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts