Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

This may be a naive question: Are most of the woodworking tools (Table saws, jointers, planers, band saws etc.) available now made in China or by other over seas companies? Are any of the Shop tools made in the USA ? Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hey folks,

This may be a naive question: Are most of the woodworking tools (Table saws, jointers, planers, band saws etc.) available now made in China or by other over seas companies? Are any of the Shop tools made in the USA ? Thanks

Joe
My recently purchased Skil "Mag77" worm-drive circular saw was made in USA, as was an older Craftsman belt sander I have. Some of my other newer tools were made in Mexico, Taiwan, and even Germany. Most, however, were made in mainland China.

The USA is rapidly becoming a non-industrial power. People forget that a country's strength (both economic and military) grows out of its industrial base, particularly the machine-tool industry. Ours is rapidly being exported. If we had been in this kind of situation prior to WWII we would have been in quite a mess.

This situation may not be all that bad (assuming that China would never have reason to challenge us militarily), but it does seem strange to have so many of our workers changing from builders to sales clerks.

Howard Ferstler

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Howard,

I agree with you about all the Industrial work going overseas. I am from Northeast Ohio, Part of the Rust Belt. I have seen so many factories close and reduce the number of workers. What happens if God forbid, we get into another "World War". What are we going to do? Thanks for the info about the power tools.:smile:

Joe

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Our industrial capacity is still here and can be brought online again fairly quickly. Unfortunatlely, our downfall will not come at the hands of an enemy we can shoot and bomb into submission with planes and tanks and bullets and bombs. Our defeat is coming in a multi-pronged attack from the domestic enemies who we elect and pay, who are allowing our culture, which is the basis of any nation, to be wiped out by allowing other cultures to not only flourish, but to repress our own culture and convince us we are bad because we are wealthy, blessed, and because we used to acknowledge almighty God .

that is no longer chic. And using the "J" word, that is Jesus, oh man that is outright old fashioned!

We wrestle not against the flesh, but against powers and principalities. In the end it is a battle of good versus evil, right versus wrong. Always has been. Always will be. But i better not get started.

Bigjoe, there are still some power tools made in america but they are specialty tools mostly. I know I have some in my shop just can't recall what they are off hand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts