Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building the TV stand in the latest issues of WOOD Magazine. I don't have a planer or jointer. I do have a router and table, but I don't have a bit that is long enough to use on 2 by material.

I rented a power door planer from the orange big box...and holy crap where has that thing been my whole wood working hobby life. That thing can remove some wood and make nice square parallel edges.

Well worth the $20/24hr rental fee.

·
where's my table saw?
28,593 Posts

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I'm building the TV stand in the latest issues of WOOD Magazine. I don't have a planer or jointer. I do have a router and table, but I don't have a bit that is long enough to use on 2 by material.

I rented a power door planer from the orange big box...and holy crap where has that thing been my whole wood working hobby life. That thing can remove some wood and make nice square parallel edges.

Well worth the $20/24hr rental fee.
Yes, they can remove some wood pretty darn quick. I can't see one replacing a jointer.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Renting one is far less cheaper than buying if you don't know what the heck you are doing. I may buy one, I may not. I haven't made up my mind if it is something that I truly need in my shop.

My next tool purchase will be a bench top drill press.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Power planers aren't really meant to function like the hand planes of old. Hand planes were used to joint both edges and faces of stock and with some practice one can get some nice results. To get really flat and square stock a 6" jointer and a planer make an unbeatable team. A power planer is great to use to trim doors down and hog waste off a slab.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts