Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
7,222 Posts
If the grain is all running in the same direction, and you have a method to hold the board, like WoodNThings planer sled, it should work.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/planer-sled-rails-14940/

I have done this before with some boards. I used very light passes to minimize the downward force of the rollers/head with each pass.

Has the slab been given enough time to reach moisture equilibrium with your shop? If not, I would wait since you cannot tell if the cupping will change.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I picked the slab up from a place about 1/2 hour away so moisture shouldnt be too much of an issue - but, I want to flatten it and get it secured to check any additional movement.

Right now, I am flattening it with a belt sander and its taking forever.

A guy at the mill recommended using a hand held power planer but somehow I think that'll do a bunch of damage to the figure sections.

The slab is 31" max width x 54" long x 1 1/2" +/- thick.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
You need a router sled....there's a thread on here somewhere about building one.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I go at an angle with a hand plane or scrub plane to flatten out a piece that is too wide for my jointer. Works pretty good and is faster then belt sander. -Nice slab... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
depends on dead flat you want it. i would switch to 60 grit on belt than work up through. a router sled will make it flatter than hand sanding.

·
7,222 Posts
I'm working in small sections, creating a ledge and I'll be moving on beyond the ledge when that portion is flat.

I'm using 120 grit on my belt sander and I think I'm going to switch to 80.
Nice looking slab. If you get tired and want to drive up to the Lehigh Valley, I can run it through my drum sander for you.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Router sled is the way to go.
It's easy to do and you can use it for them big slabs. I'd do it in my driveway if I didn't have space in garage.
Go for it.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I used a hand held power planer on the figured walnut slab I did recently and it didn't adversely affect the figured portions. Take light cuts. I finished it with a card scraper and that really brought the figure back.

Sweet slab man

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I used a trusted straight edge to check the surface as I went.
I hadn't yet begun my foray into hand planes at that point. If I had, I'd probably have planed close to finished with the power planer (with a bit of a skew to keep from tearing out the grain), then jointed flat with a No 7.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts