Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting ready to drag my old saw from the basement. It's a 8 1/4 blade with a 1/4 hp.( It's the only good motor I had at the time. )It's underpowered. A buddy gave me a leeson 1/2 hp. Will that wake my saw up? I have a new Vermont American 8 1/4 24 t carbide and plan to mainly rip 1-2 inches.

I have been getting by for years with just my skil saw and delta miter box but I mis not having a table saw.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Anybody run small saws around here?
Very few have smaller saws.

I have 2 8 inch that serve me well but I believe they have 1 horse motors. Your half horse may wake it up while you keep an eye out for a larger motor. Make certain the RPM is about right and keep a sharp blade.

·
where's my table saw?
28,964 Posts
what's the arbor size ...1/2" or 5/8"?

Most 8 1/4" blades these days will have a 5/8" arbor:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREUD-D0840...906?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2331555b6a

DEWALT DW3184 Series 20 8-1/4-Inch 40 Tooth ATB Thin Kerf Saw Blade with 5/8-Inch Arbor - Amazon.com

You will need a thin kerf blade for 2" and even that will be pushing it for a 1/2 HP motor. Your saw is undersized, but not a total loss. Plywood and 1" thick material should be fine. I would not spend any money on it other than a blade. Save for a 10" saw, 1 HP motor for more "serious" woodworking. :yes:

TYPOS CORRECTED AND EDITED FOR CABINETMAN WHO SEEMS TO THINK TYPOS ARE A RESULT OF IMPROPER MEDICATION AND OR IT'S APPLICATION :yes:

Reactions: Dandan111

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My new blade is 24t. USA made. Should be here today, I will get a picture tonight. 1 to 2 inches rip is what I want the saw for.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Probably Just Typos

what's thew arbor size ...1/2" or 5/8"?

Most 8 1/4" blades these days will have a 5/8" arbor:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREUD-D0840...906?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2331555b6a

DEWALT DW3184 Series 20 8-1/4-Inch 40 Tooth ATB Thin Kerf Saw Blade with 5/8-Inch Arbor - Amazon.com

You will need a think kerf blade for 2" and even that will be puihing it for a 1/2 HP motor. Your saw is undersized, but not a total loss. I would spend any money on it other than a blade. Save for a 10" saw, 1 HP motor for more "serious" woodworking. :yes:
Did you take your meds?:laughing:

·
where's my table saw?
28,964 Posts
No I forgot, the wine is kicking in....

Thanks for the public lashing... I won't forget it. :no:

·
where's my table saw?
28,964 Posts
one way to find out...try it!

My new blade is 24t. USA made. Should be here today, I will get a picture tonight. 1 to 2 inches rip is what I want the saw for.
Get your new motor on and the new blade and see what happens.
I have my doubts and it may depend on the type of woods you will cut. Pine has a lot of tar and will gum up the blade quickly and over heat. Oak cuts cleanly with no pitch. Cherry is prone to overheating and may burn. Hickory is a tough hardwood and may close on the blade resulting in a kickback if you have no splitter. DAMHIKT :yes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts