Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 1/4" Makita power hand plane that my father gave to me. I would like to use it for resurfacing a board that is wider than 6" (can't run it through my jointer). Theoretically, it should be possible to do this if your starting surface is good and flat to begin with and your planer is adjusted perfectly so that the depth of cut is the same on both ends of the blade. I adjusted the blade as best I could and did a trial run on some scrap lumber. I made three passes side by side and there is about a .012" step between the planer passes. This indicates to me that my blades are out of adjustment but according to my dial indicator there is only about .001" difference from one side to another. The infeed and outfeed plates are also alligned well, so I can't understand why I can't get good results. If my results were inconsistant from one path to the next I would be concerned. But the consistancy is amazing. I just need the accuracy so that the depth of the second pass lines up with the first one. Does anyone have any experience in adjusting this type of planer?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Sounds like your infeed and outfeed plates are out of alignment with the drum the blades are mounted in.

I would adjust the blades to the infeed and outfeed plates not to the drum.

Just for the record I've never messed with something like this but I'm just giving my observation.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave,

I adjusted the blades to the outfeed plate and verified the allignment of the two plates to each other. It all seems to be in alignment.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Not sure then.

What about taking a board wide enough that you can run it through your jointer and make flat then make two passes with your handheld planer and see what your results are then.

The practice board might be warped and cupped just enough to make the handheld planer do goofy things.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave,

The practice board that I used had a good flat surface to start out. It had already been run through the 6" jointer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts