Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time I attempted this combination turning/carving project. Made of Maple and is 6" diameter and 3" high.
I confirmed the fact....I like to turn wood, I do not like to carve wood. It's a small line to cross but I just don't like carving unless the wood is spinning at 500+ RPM's.:no::thumbdown::laughing:
I am glad I chose a small project to confirm this quirk of mine.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but it was not worth the work. Turn a bowl with a rim the size of the spout all the way around and then take it to the band saw and cut off what isn't a spout, sand it down until the cut out part blends in with the sides of the bowl (first my upright belt sander, next my oscillating cylinder sander then my hands) and take some hand chisels and carve the spout and hand sand some more. This was a real hand sanding, blister making, arm hurting project that I wish I could say was fun............I'm just not cut out to do this kind of craft and respect those who do. Glad I used Maple and not Oak.....

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Good job. Nicely shaped bowl. Get yourself some good quality wood rasps. They save a lot of sanding by letting you smooth the surface better. I also use sandpaper glued to sticks. If you start course enough it goes pretty fast and doesn't wear out your fingers as quickly.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good job. Nicely shaped bowl. Get yourself some good quality wood rasps. They save a lot of sanding by letting you smooth the surface better. I also use sandpaper glued to sticks. If you start course enough it goes pretty fast and doesn't wear out your fingers as quickly.
Thanks John. I used 60 grit and a sanding block for most of it. I also used a round file for the final shape in the spout but as you know...lots of work. My fingers and hands paid the price though. No more for me, at least for a while anyway. I will stick to lathe work.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Very nice! I've heard that they have a product now that you can turn to size and then just form the spout with your finger. I believe it's called clay

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very nice! I've heard that they have a product now that you can turn to size and then just form the spout with your finger. I believe it's called clay
Thanks! I'm going to pick me up a batch of that stuff and go into a room with rubber walls and mold away! I gotta tell ya, that small bowl drove me nuts but I wasn't going to toss it and boy I sure wanted to.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I started carving before I started turning and I love it. I love turning more but I still have a blast carving stuff. Carved this today out of a piece of cottonwood bark.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I started carving before I started turning and I love it. I love turning more but I still have a blast carving stuff. Carved this today out of a piece of cottonwood bark.
I bow to your talents and patients. An art form I will never conquer.

Reactions: kd5nay
1 - 14 of 14 Posts