Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined up the other day-- been reading on how to post pictures so here is my first attempt.
This is one of some coffee mugs made for Christmas. First time making the mugs and learned a few things. 1. I need a steady rest for my lathe. I cheated and went down to my old school shop and used the metal lathe which had one along with a boring bar to shape the insides. 2. Had first mug blow out when turning the lip for the insert so I left the others flat and drilled a counterbored hole for the screw in the bottom to fasten the insert in. Had the I.D. of the blank just fitting the O.D. of the insert, so no wobble at the top. Will see if this works since my DIL and son are using two of them.
coffee mugs.jpg

Open for better suggestions on making these. Thanks for looking.

Don

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
The mugs look great! I'm chucking to myself though, cuz when I first glanced at them I thought they were big bongo drums! :laughing: The bongos would hold more soup! :thumbup:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Nice cups Don, i suppose you could call it a "mug shot" :laughing:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will remember next time to put something in the picture as to indicate scale of piece---They do look like bongo drums!!!!!

Got the insert at Woodcraft, did not attach them with glue, but the inserts had a screw in the bottom so I used that by drilling a hole in the bottom. It is not how the directions said to do it, but I figured if the shell cracked or needed fixing in some way it is real simple to take apart and fix.

Thanks for the comments,

Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts