Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I finally learned to post a picture so thought I would start a thread of shop storage. Please post pictures of your best storage ideas. My plywood rack what an improvement.

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I don't use much plywood. My "wood storage" is a 40'x40' shed, I just pull what I need for a given project. I have had this plan on my desktop for awhile though. I think it would make a decent little thing to store plywood cutoffs and a few boards with a worktop for small projects. A guy could even put casters on it for moving it around.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
My "wood storage" is a 40'x40' shed,
Just so people would not think I was kidding, this is 1/2 the shed the other half is full too. The best storage idea :no:, but there is some organization even though it looks like chaos. My "wood shop" is too small to have any wood in it, just barely enough room for my tools and me. A big project I can get cramped.

Attachments

·
Registered
801 Posts
That's it..... I'm raiding Darren's shed next spring whe we drive out to Grand Forks, ND to visit my Finacee's Brother (in the USAF)............. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
.. I'm raiding Darren's shed next spring whe we drive out to Grand Forks, ND
I sell a little wood (more than I use), that is why I need the "storage" .I just sold 2 fellers a 1/2 truckload of walnut and a couple curly maple slabs yesterday $$$. I cannot wait to see what they do with it, they are good woodworkers , it is in the right hands now (before I hacked it up :laughing:)

I have one feller who comes by about once a month and needs just ONE board to "finish a little project". He is a friend of mine and it never fails, he reaches for his wallet and "Dang, I must have left it home!, I will catch you next time ?" This has gone on for 3 years :glare:, he has hauled by now a full truckload out. The last time he came by it dawned on me. Have you ever heard the song "Once piece at a time" by Johnny Cash ? http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/johnnycash/onepieceatatime.html
I have never seen one of his finished products...he just needs a couple more free boards from me to have enough material to start that big project he has been planning for 3 years :laughing:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
It's a good thing he is a friend of yours, or else it might wear a little thin after awhile.

How much airspace should I be leaving between boards when I sticker them or stack them?

Gerry

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Hi Again Daren

Just thought I would add that's sure a nice looking selection of wood you have there. I am amazed that you encounter such a variety as an "urban logger".

Gerry

·
Registered
419 Posts
sticker stacking

Just in case Daren is helping a paying customer, I'll chime in. I use ¾" plywood in ¾" wide strips 4' long. Gives me a good standard size and allows me to utilize my scraps. Be sure in all cases to have your stickers aligned from bottom to top. This carries the load straight thru the stack and doesn't induce bows that you wouldn't appreciate unless you are into boat building and hulls are your specialty.

Ed

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Hi Again Daren
I am amazed that you encounter such a variety as an "urban logger".

Gerry
I have several sources (building contractors/tree services/individuals...) I get my "yard trees" from a 50 mile radius, there are alot of trees in towns and some really neat ornamentals that you will not find in the timber because they are not a native species.

And here I go again, what edp said about the stickers ;). I just do that until the wood is below 20% moisture, then I dead stack it. I have my own little kiln so I keep some kiln drying all the time, but I air dry first.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Thanks for the input guys: I think I am pretty much doing what you guys are saying, but it never hurts to ask.

Brings up another question: what is the moisture meter of choice out there. I do not have one yet, but I realise that this will be an essential for the things I am wanting to get into. So, I would like to get a decent one, that will be accurate, and reliable, without blowing the bank.

PS: Daren

As I mentioned, my brother has a Wood Mizer, but he is getting a little tired of jumping through other people's hoops, and I expect that one of these days he may consider passing it along, with an exchange of some cash, to his brother. I don't think I would be getting into too much custom cutting, like you do, but it sure would be nice to be able to mill out some variety of woods for projects, like you are doing.

I hope you don't mind lots of questions.

Best regards;

Gerry

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I hope you don't mind lots of questions.

Best regards;

Gerry
Not at all, I hope you don't expect the right answers , convincing as they may sound :laughing:. I can at least slow the process of going broke sawmilling like your brother and myself, which will lengthen the fun :thumbsup: All joking aside, shoot me an email anytime.

For your moisture meter question. This will probably go against the grain here, but buy 2 cheap ones. Like $30, 2 different brands and use them both. You could go buy a $250 meter...but what if it is for some reason off. I have 2 cheap ones and if they read the same/close, I know I am good. They are not complicated pieces of equipment, don't let the manufacturers adverts tell you any different. If you want to blow an extra $200, have at it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Wood poachers

Just a hunch Daren. Kind of think I'd be poaching too if I had access to the array of species you have. But you could at least count on me for a cold one or twelve.
Must say that I am growing to envy you. I was of the opinion that I currently possessed all the big ticket items I needed but my own band mill is starting to look mighty attractive.
Will be erecting a solar powered kiln this fall when the work drops off so it seems like a perfect pairing.

Ed

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I agree with edp Daren. I'd at least bring you a few cold ones.Of course I'd help you drink them too. It must be great to go out to your storage, with an idea in mind, and have to spend most of the day just trying to decide which wood to use. [Just a little woodpile envy ha ha]

Gerry

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
. . . . . my own band mill is starting to look mighty attractive. . . . . . .Ed

Ed this is your first step toward a lifelong addiction. Buy all the mill you can afford IMHO. It always starts small. Especially where you live. You are not going to have any shortage of free logs just wait and see, and soon you will outgrow a small or medium size mill.

Daren, try to talk some sense into this man. :laughing:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Me..............Sense..........

Can't make the connection on this end. I have a 3 acre wood lot that needs to be cleared (by my sons!!!) so it can be prepped for building in about 2 years (them also). Why let someone else have the trees. Mostly honey locust at 14" diameter and easily 30' of usable length with some white pine mixed in. The locust might make good fencing.

With regard to the bandmill. I'm thinking 12 to 18' of travel with a manually advanced saw. Don't see me making lumber for others but I can see me feeding my own habit. I have plenty of loggers around who will sell and deliver any species of local lumber you might ask for. I am currently paying $3.45 a bdft for kiln dried 4/4 red oak. I am also depleting a 3,000 bdft stack of air dried 4/4 red oak that I got for $1.00 a bdft. So, I have no idea how low a bdft could go when speaking in terms of a whole log. I am planning on having the kiln anyway so might as well try the water. 7 years till early retirement and full time ww. The clock is ticking.

Ed

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Daren, try to talk some sense into this man. :laughing:
It's no use, the idea is already in his head :bangin:. Once he cuts one of those honeylocust open...the fence idea will be out the window too, way to pretty for that. I ain't talking nobody out of their own mill, it's not fair we get to have all the fun :no:.

I am currently paying $3.45 a bdft for kiln dried 4/4 red oak
Wow, it's under $2 here (some Amish I have seen are $1.50). I don't even mess with it other than for myself. I barely break even sawing it to sell. I get $.35 bft to saw and $.35 bft to dry for others, logs go for $500-$600 per 1000 bft (if I had to buy them, which I would if I was sawing enough to sell on any scale) That puts me "investing" about $1.25 in lumber I could just go buy outright for another $.50 and not have all the work/waste... I have seen it advertised over $3.00, but I know they are not selling it for that just trying to.

My advice for Ed, Gerry and anyone else who reads this and is thinking about buying a mill...go for it :thumbsup:. I am not turning this into http://www.sawandtimber.com/ . They have sawmill talk over there. But for a wood worker having his own little mill, it's like owning your own candy factory or something when you where 10 years old :laughing:.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Yeah, I agree Daren. You've got your own little candy factory, and I envy you. Plus, you are doing something you love to do. I don't think it can get much better than that. you are making a living, and loving what you are doing. Good on you. Keep doing it 'til you don't want to, and then change.

Best regards

Gerry

1 - 20 of 33 Posts