Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a recently completed southwestern style hollowform turned from post oak burl. I actually have worked on this piece for about eight years (sporadically, no continuously) and decided that it was high time to finish it so that I could use the chuck for something else.

_MG_2995_tiny.jpg

The burl had a natural hole where the top is located and was partially hollow and about as hard as iron. The inside of the burl had lots of hard black pith wood that was full of silica. Conventional HSS tools were no match for this hard wood so I was not able to make any progress until getting a carbide cutter. Even with carbide, I wore out two carbide cutters. The opening at the top was very splintered so that is the reason for the turquoise Inlace around the opening at the top. Then I had the reinforce the underside of the top with epoxy and wood so that I could turn the exterior. After the exterior was finished I as able to hollow out the added wood and epoxy that I had place there for support. There were a number of borer tunnels that I also filled with turquoise Inlace. The piece is bare wood (no varnish, lacquer, shellac, oil, or wax -- just elbow grease :laughing:) sanded to very fine grit to give it a satin sheen. Originally I had a foot on the piece, but removed it and made the bottom round to more closely resemble southwestern style pottery.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice! The oak/turquoise works great with the SW design. Beautiful piece. I bet your chuck is glad to get a rest.
I think it was well worth the wait. Very nice looking piece
Awesomeeeeeee
Really interesting piece of wood, nicely used.
8 years eh? Nice to see I am not the only one that sets things aside..
Thanks for the comments, everybody.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really interesting piece of wood, nicely used.
BTW, I looked at your web site and really appreciate the work that you have done and that you are using a color managed environment that takes advantage of calibrated monitors and color aware browsers. I am an amateur photographer and have a wide gamut monitor (99% AdobeRGB) and have Firefox set to recognize embedded color profiles in images.

·
Registered
656 Posts
It's worth all the effort, I came out looking stunning. Cool shape, the wood has amazing grain patterns and figures. Like the pretty turquoise, a very nice touch. Great job!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts