Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
suggestions welcome for which ways to turn.
White pine tree heart.
Tree had "red heart disease".
Kiln dried
sizes are: 7 7/8" square
Left 2" thick
Center 3" thick
Right 3" thick

thanks
jim

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Glue a piece of walnut or something to the bottom, and then turn bowls that have the natural finish on the inside. Sort of an inside out bowl. Those pieces are pretty neat and their best attribute is what ultimatley led to the trees demise. In my head that should be the highlight of the finished product. I would turn some bowls with a glass like outside finish and then just leave the inside alone.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Trubakoff
I would glue the 3 pieces of pine together then glue a pine spigot to the bottom, making sure you get the spigot dead center. Then turn a square bowl. Look in my gallery I have a few in there if your unfamiliar with a square bowl. I disagree about leaving the center holes alone, they wouldn't line up and you would need to turn them round anyways. I don't understand why you would glue some walnut on the bottom. Am I missing something here? As far as turning it inside out, I think it would be near impossible to do with them little hunks of wood. By the way, I notice your new to this forum. I want to welcome you to the forum and wish you luck. Maybe you could post some pictures of your turnings? We need good guys that like to post in here. Give us all something to talk about. Good Luck Mitch

·
Registered
18 Posts
I dont know why I picked walnut, I was talking about making three seperate bowls and turning the outsides round while just leaving the inside. I dont have any pictures of my turnings, I have been without a shop for about 2 years now and its killing me. I'm an industrial design student at ASU and am minoring in art/woodworking, my plans are to own my own shop and start honing my skills. My passion for wood is strong and its all I can think about, being a college student I just dont have the money to buy tools.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts