Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can a 29" Jointer (PorterCable PC160JT) w/ stands be made as accurate as a 46" one?

Hello All,
I am contemplating buying a PC160JT, but am on the fence. Anyone have some wisdom to share to buy it or not buy it?

Can a jointer that small be made accurate by using shop stands?

Are there other alternatives I should consider? I am short on space.

I like it for the following reasons:

• I can go to Lowes and buy it. I can return it if it is a disaster.
  • It's $250
  • I have a very small shop and I could fit a floor jointer, but just barely. This I could easily put out of the way when not in use.
  • The alternatives are few and expensive. The next cheapest one is around $400 for a Jet tool w/ equally bad reviews...then $500+shipping for a Rigid or Grizzly floor-standing model, both which look great. Harbor freight stopped selling jointers for some reasons, so I can't even consider them.
I hesitate for the following reasons.

• Small bed
  • It got pretty bad reviews (3 stars)
  • Since Porter Cable was bought, I am aware they're now cheapo versions of DeWalt and I have not been impressed with their benchtop tools
  • Aluminum table instead of cast-iron.
I have a small shop in my basement. I'd like to get a jointer, but I don't see a lot of options. Amazon will sell me machines I have never seen for very high cost (yeah $400 is cheap for a jointer, but it still is expensive for my hobby).

I was going to hook it up to a miter saw stand, a 4' DWX724(
) and line up the material supports to extend the bed a bit under the hopes it may compensate for the small bed on larger boards.

Is this a fool's errand?

Can I make a 29" jointer accurate enough to compete with a 40" floor jointer with adjustable stands and rollers? or will this tangibly affect my ability to get a straight edge on a board? I usually work with boards at 4', but may go as big as 6'. I was hoping to clean up edges off semi-rough lumber (the stuff sold at Rockler) after it's been cut on a table or circular saw. If I could make this tool do an adequate job, it's the perfect size and cost.

Since most of you reading this are more experienced and wiser than I am, perhaps you could provide some advice?

Thanks!
Steven

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply gentlemen. My biggest concern is the size. The pain is less about cost and more about being able to walk safely in my workshop. After all, I could just endure a hit to the wallet and cut costs in other ways.

I have looked at the postings on CL in Boston....some of the jointers are nice, but they are large.

I'll repost to another thread. I think I asked too many things in the last forum.

If I had space, absolutely, I'd buy a $100 full sized jointer on CL and fix it up and try and get all the rust off (I don't know if it's a mass-hole thing, but folks here don't seem to take too good care of the tools they're selling).

However, I really wish I could buy a 46" jointer like the Grizzly G0452P (http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-46-Jointer-with-Mobile-Base-Polar-Bear-Series-/G0452P) in a benchtop version so I could place it over a my planer or store lumber or tools underneath it....although I should be careful what I wish for. If that thing ships at 270lbs, I am sure most of it isn't the packaging and the stand. Maybe a cast iron jointer is just too heavy to move out of position when you're done with it.

Thanks for responding!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts