Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all, Ok I recently bought a porter cable 10 in table saw and its to late to return it so I am kinda on my own here. I was cutting a 4x4 oak post down the middle the long way and the saw stopped. I assumed it over loaded so I unplugged it waited a few minutes and plugged it back in and hit the reset button and boom good to go, im back in business. Well about 4 cuts later same thing only this time no good. The reset button is soft and the main switch seems like it wont switch all the way back on. Is there something I am missing? A in line fuse or some safety thing. No way I burned out this saw..........what can I do??

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Let it cool off and try it later. A 4x 4 is a tall order for a small saw....take smaller bites. Also, be sure you're using a good quality sharp thin kerf blade that's clean and suitable for the task. Fewer teeth typically equates to less resistance, though rougher cut. A Freud Diablo D1024 is ~ $27. A good blade is the best way to maximize your investment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks, I did have a new blade on and today I also replaced the bushings. Its been sitting in my shop for a week now. I finally got ahold of Porter Cable today and I do have a 3 yr warranty on all parts and service. It just seems weak for the saw to crap out like that. I don't think I have 20 hrs on it yet. I have an old craftsman table saw that I bought for $90.00 about five yrs ago and I dusted that bad boy off and used it all day. I had to rig up a fence and bolt it down cuz its so light weight, and it screamed and roared but it saved the day.. I thought I was upgrading when I picked up the Porter Cable but you just cant beat reliability.. Lesson learned.....

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
so much for the (sometimes appropriate) CRAPS-MAN moniker for c-man tools.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to get the Porter Cable Table saw replaced today, Lowes in Hibbing Min are willing to do a full refund exchange thanks to my Contractors Card. (Not a credit card) Kinda cool it keeps a record of all my purchases which is good and bad cuz I was surprised to see how much I spent there over the last yr. My only true addiction left in life is the smell of a new tool!!! Special thanks to my ole Craftsman saw, I cleaned and oiled it up and put it back in the shed. Til next time buddy ADIOS!!!

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
It's great that they're willing to stand behind it. If they offer the option of cash back, I'd take it in a heart beat. That refunded amount would along way toward a good full size used saw with a belt drive induction motor that has much more upside potential than a small benchtop or portable saw.

Also worth noting....you mentioned that the blade was new, but be sure no to confuse "new" for "good quality". The blade is one of the biggest factors in the saw's end performance. If it's a typical cheap $15 Chinese blade, it's likely no better than a typical stock blade....for woodworking, I'd lean toward the Irwin Marples series (not the Classic or Marathon series), CMT ITK Plus, Freud Diablo, or DeWalt Precision trim series (not the Construction series)....one of those blades will be an excellent $30 investment in better cutting performance, longer edge life, and overall value. I'd also steer clear of most Skil, Vermont American, Avanti/Avanti Pro, Work Force, Ryobi, most Craftsman, HF, the Oldham Contractor series, and most other off name cheaply made blades.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts