Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can porter cable planer blades be sharpened? I have a very inexpensive porter cable planer that has reversible blades. I am at least 40 miles to the nearest place to purchase unless I use amazon. Has anyone ever sharpened these blades successfully?

·
Registered
27,645 Posts
Can porter cable planer blades be sharpened? I have a very inexpensive porter cable planer that has reversible blades. I am at least 40 miles to the nearest place to purchase unless I use amazon. Has anyone ever sharpened these blades successfully?
Look at the head and see how much blade is protruding out. I have a Delta planer that has reversible blades and there is so little blade protruding I think you could only sharpen it once and that is if it didn't have any nicks in it. I'm not sure if I would want to do it anyway so I keep buying new knives.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I sharpened mine and they worked alright, It was an absolute pain to make sure I was taking the same amount of material off each side so I didn't have a cup in the blade. Other than that, if you have the patience/tools then you should be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts