Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just starting using & learning about biscuit joints. I read that porter cable biscuits are different sizes then standard biscuits size.
I've got a Dewalt joiner, should I be worried or avoid using PC biscuits with my Dewalt or PC well work just fine?
Thanks

·
Registered
344 Posts
Biscuits can be bought in different sizes. You can also change cutter to correspond with the biscuits.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
I just starting using & learning about biscuit joints. I read that porter cable biscuits are different sizes then standard biscuits size.
I've got a Dewalt joiner, should I be worried or avoid using PC biscuits with my Dewalt or PC well work just fine?
Thanks

IMO, you should worry about using any biscuits. There are better joinery methods.

·
Registered
12,543 Posts
Thanks

Where did you read this? Was it a reliable source?

I have never seen biscuits in a store that were labled by any given make of biscuit cutter. Then again I really do not pay much attention to biscuits.

G

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Don't think makin bicuits is all that hard right?Grandmother's were making them by the busload "back in the day".What,flour...little baking pwd....lard/shortening...add water?I'm just tired of buying pre-made biscuits.Its one of those modern conveniences that post WWII,subdivision....gotta be fast,thinking brought us.I still cook with my G-mothers CI skillets......goin on 100 years and they're just getting broken in.

So,to OP........ain't bustin on WW biscuits(will leave that to others),but would encourage you to explore either....makin your own,or find possibly a more traditional joint.And also think a little about how/why they got started....from a marketing strategy sort of way.And this coming from someone who'll use storebought biscuits from time to time.BW

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've used PC biscuits, DeWalt biscuits, and Bosch biscuits with my Ryobi biscuit joiner and I can't tell any difference. I use #0, #10, and #20 size biscuits.

Maybe the Porter Cable biscuits have become the standard instead of "standard" size biscuits and other companies, such as DeWalt and Bosch also make PC size biscuits?

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
cabinetman said:
IMO, you should worry about using any biscuits. There are better joinery methods.
hahaha... Always consistent! :laughing:

In all honesty, I don't use em much. The point of biscuits though is nothing close to perfection... Just some added long grain. The biscuit won't / isn't supposed to fit perfectly but allow a little room for play. That's why, like C-man, it's very amusing when people refer to biscuits as a way of improving alignment on glue-ups and such...

~tom ...it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
hahaha... Always consistent! :laughing:

In all honesty, I don't use em much. The point of biscuits though is nothing close to perfection... Just some added long grain. The biscuit won't / isn't supposed to fit perfectly but allow a little room for play. That's why, like C-man, it's very amusing when people refer to biscuits as a way of improving alignment on glue-ups and such...

~tom ...it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
Hmmm, good to know. I've had in my mind that biscuits would be a good alignment aid. therefor, I've been wanting to obtain a biscuit joiner. I'd still like the tool but it's nice (and somewhat disappointing) to know that it would not help with board alignment with gluing up boards to make wider ones.

I need to re-think my notions of the usefulness of biscuits. Would you say that dowels would be a better way to go to accomplish what I 'm talking about? And, even better, what method would you recommend to minimize the amount of planing required after gluing boards edge to edge?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm still learning learning & trying out different joinery techniques. I've been using pocket joinery, getting ready try dowel pins & biscuit joinery.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Realistically speaking, do biscuits add much real strength to a joint? [Not sarcasm, by the way. I am curious.]
Not in my opinion. They may help keeping parts from pulling apart, and that's about it. If anything, they weaken the area they are placed. With their 'expansion', they have the ability to show a bump in the faces. They don't insure alignment, and if used on a long glue up with multiple biscuits, if one or more get 'hung' up, the parts will not go together.

If a joint requires what a biscuit is supposed to do, I use wood splines, made to fit, with cross grain if possible, or plywood.

·
John
3,028 Posts
About the only biscuits I use with any regularity are the H-9's, to reinforce picture frame corners. No plate joiner, just use the router table for the picture frames. :smile:

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
Chaincarver Steve said:
Hmmm, good to know. I've had in my mind that biscuits would be a good alignment aid. therefor, I've been wanting to obtain a biscuit joiner. I'd still like the tool but it's nice (and somewhat disappointing) to know that it would not help with board alignment with gluing up boards to make wider ones.

I need to re-think my notions of the usefulness of biscuits. Would you say that dowels would be a better way to go to accomplish what I 'm talking about? And, even better, what method would you recommend to minimize the amount of planing required after gluing boards edge to edge?
For a panel glue-up careful preparation is the best way to reduce planing afterwards.

What I mean by that is good face and edge jointing, excessive clamps and cauls and having everything you will need within arm's reach.

If you feel you really must go beyond edge gluing (it's more than sufficient) you can go with a spline, like C-man mentioned, of either ply or hardwood. But you still have to be thorough on the above mentioned. It's easy to get lazy on that part when using using a spline...

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Firemedic, your comment made me realize that perhaps I simply underestimate the strength of a properly glued joint. I think I've wanted a biscuit joiner for the wrong reasons.

·
Registered
115 Posts
biscuits

It has been widely told that todays Titebond glue will result in a joint that is stronger that the wood, if the joint preparation is done properly.
When I had my cabinet shop I came to realize that the only reason to put screws in the boxes was to hold things in place until the glue dried.
Regards
Joe

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
Chaincarver Steve said:
Firemedic, your comment made me realize that perhaps I simply underestimate the strength of a properly glued joint. I think I've wanted a biscuit joiner for the wrong reasons.
It's a common misconception on the buggers...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts