Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently borrowed my friend's PC890 router, and while tightening a bit into the collet, the spindle lock pin broke right half in two. I have read that this is a common occurrence and that the vast majority of people don't bother replacing it, but since it doesn't belong to me, it certainly feels like the right thing to do.

I have nearly completely disassembled the router to gain access to the pin, having removed the armature, upper motor housing, electronics, and plastic shielding, as seen in these photos:

The problem I am now facing is, no matter what I try, I cannot get that pin and retainer out. I have tried hitting it with pounding on it from the internal side, and I have tried pulling from the outside with a vise grips, but outside of that, I'm not really sure what to do.

I have acquired an exploded view of the assembly and photos of the components themselves, but haven't found them particularly useful, partially due to the exploded view's horrible quality. I have attached them below in case they are of any inspiration to any you.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank in advance!
-Max

·
where's my table saw?
31,729 Posts
Get a mechanic's socket of a size that will allow the assembly to be punched out from the spindle side. Support the casting with the socket, on the vise jaws before applying any blows to your punch. You don't want to break off the casting and this will prevent that. I am assuming it's a press fit since there doesn't appear to be any fasteners visible.
Could be a Loc-Tite fit?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get a mechanic's socket of a size that will allow the assembly to be punched out from the spindle side. Support the casting with the socket, on the vise jaws before applying any blows to your punch. You don't want to break off the casting and this will prevent that. I am assuming it's a press fit since there doesn't appear to be any fasteners visible.
Could be a Loc-Tite fit?
I actually managed to get it out about 5 minutes ago with a very similar method. I went out and bought an arbor press (I needed one anyway), and used a small piece of pipe on the underside and a solid center punch to press it out. Worked like a charm. I have drawn a diagram for anyone who faces this issue in the future.

·
Jack of too many trades..
601 Posts
Heh..! I did exactly that on my original PC890. I don't recall what I did to fix it as it was several years back, but I did fix it. I either bent the pin back, or replaced it. That I don't have a strong memory of it, suggests that the solution wasn't too difficult.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Porter-Cable 890 routers came with only one collet wrench. The first time I installed a router bit, I could feel that the lock pin was not very strong and might eventually break, so I bought a second collet wrench. These days, I always use two wrenches to install or remove router bits. In my opinion, the lock button is best used to set the router bit depth in the collet by hand, before getting out the two wrenches to make it tight.

I bought the second Porter-Cable 890 router to put in a router table. I like and recommend the Rockler offset collet wrenches, which are available for Porter-Cable, Bosch, and DeWalt routers:
https://www.rockler.com/rockler-offset-router-collet-wrenches

FYI:
Porter-Cable stopped making routers last year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.