Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My porter cable 7564 8lb drill burned out it's armature yesterday. I am debating whether to replace the armature at $110 or replace the drill. I'm not real sure what in today's market would be comparable.

I use it for drilling 1 1/2" to 2" in holes up to 12" deep in white pine, eastern white cedar and hemlock.

Any recommendations?

Carex

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
more meat

I'm looking for something with similar weight to help push itself through, low rpm's, 500ish, high torque. My second drill is currently a Dewalt 511 it doesn't have near the umph required to do the work.

·
where's my table saw?
31,266 Posts

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Carex,

You didn't mention what your building but I wonder if an auger bit like this would work for your purposes.

The screw tip will help pull the bit into your workpiece.

What type of bits are you currently using?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Close

It looks like I'm looking for a Dewalt 130V, a Ridgid 7120, or a Milwaukee 1660 or 1663. The 1663 is probably out of my price range unless I find a bargin.

Currently building fence, I mortise and tenon the corners, 2" mortices through 6" to 10" posts. Next will be a rabbity framed with white cedar posts, including beams and rafters. Then a small barn/storage/greenhouse/rootcellar combo which is still in design. The last will be timber framed with white pine. Lastly the truck needs a new bed and I've got a little bit of hemlock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bits

I'm cutting one to two inch mortises so use self feeding or speed bits. A feeder tip like your photo or like old brace bits and wood eating disk similar to forstner bits but with teeth on the disk.

·
where's my table saw?
31,266 Posts
there are 3 types

A conventional 1/2" drill with the handles coming out vertically at 90 degress to the motor, a 2 piece mated drill with a saw grip handle and a finally, a long right angle drill with an extended main handle and switch.

I vote for the long handle for better leverage and control, like my old Timberwolf. It is a 2 speed, virtually unstopable..... This is the new Milwaukee version and this one is used, saves about $40.00 over new...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Milwaukee-1...448?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338264cdc0

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.