Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Porter Cable 75182 Router with 75361 base. The Acme threads seem to be gauled and I cannot turn more than 1 round to set height. Is there a way to fix this other than buying a new base and breaking the old base off. I have tried to spread the base far enough to let the router turn on out but no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

·
where's my table saw?
28,738 Posts
Acme threads?

Do you mean the square bottom spiral threads/grooves inside the base that allow you to change the height by rotating the motor? The 75182 is the model designation for the motor itself.

You may have got one of the pins on the motor out of the groove. The grooves are about 1/4" wide, the pins re about 1/16" in diameter, small enough to easily slide in them. They may be off set to one another to take up the difference, I donno?

I don't thing spreading the clamp open too far will help, it may crack the base.. You just need to see which way the motor need to be bumped back into position by placing it on a flat surface and looking for the tilt in the angle of the motor. You can try to "man-handle" it back into the grooves or maybe a sharp rap with a plastic mallet.

I looked at my motor and base and I can't imagine what it must have taken to get it wedged in place. I will take a photo if that will help. It may just be "stuck" rather than out of the groove. You might try tightening the clamp to see if that will snap it back into position. Sometimes there's only 2 things you can do and sometimes it's the opposite of the logical one to try next ...I donno? :blink:

There may be only one way to start the motor into the base because of the pin orientation. You may have started it in the wrong position... again I'd have to check.
I'll post back.

·
where's my table saw?
28,738 Posts
The pins are indeed offset, but

There are two pairs of them...I've marked them A and B in the photos. The B pins are lower on the body or closer to the collet. The B pin must enter the base first. Then as you rotate the base the A pin will come around into position. Then the base on my router just glides around easily when inverted or upside down. I can't imagine what has caused yours to seize up, except there may be something wedged in the groove?

Attachments

·
Registered
679 Posts
Aluminum against aluminum doesn't work well unless you keep it lubricated. Clean it up as best you can and apply paste wax on both surfaces. I have two old PC's that work as well as new using the wax.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info. I just have to get apart now so I can lube it.
Good news!! Thanks to WD-40 & some "Armstrong" I got it apart. I used a chisel to spread the joint. It is full of fine saw dust since it hangs below my table. I'll clean it up and put wax on the threads as suggested above. I have had it for over 15 years and never had it apart before. Thanks you everyone for your help. Thank you Woodenthings for the pics. Those will be a big help putting it back together tomorrow.

·
where's my table saw?
28,738 Posts
Great, glad to have helped.

Thanks for the info. I just have to get apart now so I can lube it.
Good news!! Thanks to WD-40 & some "Armstrong" I got it apart. I used a chisel to spread the joint. It is full of fine saw dust since it hangs below my table. I'll clean it up and put wax on the threads as suggested above. I have had it for over 15 years and never had it apart before. Thanks you everyone for your help. Thank you Woodenthings for the pics. Those will be a big help putting it back together tomorrow.
Glad it was that simple, just "stuck" because of the dust jammed in the grooves. I thought that could be the issue. It would be unlikely that the pins jumped out of the grooves. :yes:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just dug the wood dust out of the grooves. It was as hard as good oak. I loose assembled it and it goes together really good. Have to go get wax. What little was left in my can is dried up. Hadn't used it for several years. My last projects were white pine bunks for the G-kids and a white pine headboard for the kids.
Thanks again for all the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts